Daydreams about deceased father

C

Carrierobin2

Hello,
I lost my dad January second of this year to cancer. I was his care giver for about three months and the months before that were really rough also. Lately I haven’t been able too sleep and I find myself thinking about him in his last days unconsciously. Of course causing me too get upset. I try thinking of other things but it doesn’t seem to help , somehow my thoughts drift right back. What can I do to get this to stop? I don’t understand why this is happening please help

G

Ghostmode

Hello Carrierobin2, my father passed away this May to cancer too :( all I do it think about him and want to be with him! It feels like it will never get easier and I don’t think we can stop these thoughts from happening unfortunately I wake up at night crying in my sleep as I’m dreaming about my dad!

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think its a natural part of the grieving process and one that we can't stop but have to weather. I lost my husband 5 years ago and still have dreams about him occasionally. Just after he died I saw him quite often and heard his voice. I was in a psych unit at the time of his death so needless to say they were dubious about this. It does get better as you get used to that hole inside of you that was "dad shaped" gets closed and you learn to live without him. I am sorry you are going through this though, grief is a horrible emotion we can't side step.

C

Candy19

I had a friend that died a few years ago, I was 15 and she was 17, I don't think the daydreams ever stop if you really cared about them, what I usually do is instead think of the good times I had with her rather than her final moments. A few months ago I had a dream about her that she came up and hugged me, it felt too real and I did cry after, but I like to think it was really her.

I also had another friend that died last December, he was also only 19, I wasn't as close to him, but I still do think about him as well