• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Day 2 of getting my life back

L

Lamb12345

So today is my second day of taking AD venlafaxine xr 75mg have no idea what to expect, have given up on being hopeful of anything these days. Usually such a positive happy person but went deep inside my walls following a series of bad life events including childhood abuse issues haunting me, I think that happened because i was getting low and for some stupid reason once I got low thinking about all things negative became my norm :( this has been devastating to me I do at times feel like a complete and utter failure hence why it's tsken so very long to seek proper medical help. God I hope this works because I'm at wits end with myself, I barely leave my house these days and I'm trying to keep my children's lives as normal as I possibly can hoping that my feelings don't affect them. I have so much to be grateful for and I cannot wait to really appreciate that, I feel awful like I'm totally out of control of my feelings, I'm sick of pretending that I'm ok when I'm really not, I've had to be so strong for my kids since their dad left 8 yrs ago, took over our business to support us and I guess I just wore myself out trying to do the right thing, I don't know exactly when everything started getting on top of me all I know is I've had to totally step away from the business and get my staff to run it because I just can't face anyone, it's now been approximately 3 yrs since I stepped out for a breather and now I can't even think about going back without flying into a panic attack or stressing out, I stress out that I'm not there helping also so I can't seem to win either way. Reaching out for help and telling my new partner and older two children that I've started on anti depressants was extremely difficult for me, I hope it's worth it. I find it easy to reach out and offer my support to other people in fact i do it all the time but I can't seem to help myself, strange. Trying to be positive!

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Hi Lamb12345, :welcome: to the forum, good for you for making your first post, I hope you'll find it helps being amongst people who have been there too.

First I just want to say it's not stupid at all to find yourself thinking negatively about things, it's part and parcel of depression, and it isn't your fault, it's not something you would choose to do if you had complete choice in the matter. I have been hard on myself too for seeing everything in a negative light, it's very hard to accept that it's not something you can easily choose not to engage in, but blaming yourself for feeling as you do makes things even harder (and self-blame is also a feature of depression, so it's difficult to go easy on ourselves).

You have been through some very tough times, and have shown a lot of strength in keeping going to the extent you have. And now you are being strong again in admitting there is a problem and reaching out for help. You need time to recover and give yourself space and understanding for what you have been through. You are not a failure, it sounds like you have done your very best, putting your kids and your work responsibilities first, and giving it 100% effort. I hope now you can give yourself and your own well-being priority as well :hug:

I hope the venlafaxine helps, medication usually takes a little while to start having an effect, so you may not notice a difference straight away. And I would say, in my experience, that medication on it's own can't totally 'solve' how you feel about difficult events that have happened in your life - have you considered asking for some talking therapy as well? It may help to have somewhere to discuss more the way you have been thinking and feeling. I have found it very helpful in particular to talk about my abusive childhood experiences that have had a big effect on my life.

Welcome again Lamb, and I'm glad you've started out on the journey towards getting to better place in how you're feeling. Things can get better :peace:

L

Lamb12345

Thank you so much for your kind words! To be honest I didn't expect a reply, it was good just to get some of that out of my head! I will come back tomorrow, right now I think I need to get some sleep, make hay whilst the sun shines and all that. Your post was great, I'm sure I will read it again tomorrow :) take care

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Really hope that the anti-depressants help you out.
Sounds like you've had all sorts to contend with, and so it's great that you've finally reached out and sought help.
I hope your partner and children are supportive in your healing process. :hug:

L

Lamb12345

Thanks so much! My partner and children are supportive, I'm pretty independent though and a lot of the time I try to protect them by pretending I'm ok, that way I don't have as much guilt to contend with. Glad I took that step and def glad to have found this forum, it's good to know I'm not alone and that so many people have come through depression ok and strong. X thanks for the hug!