Daughter had mental break, very scared

T

Tblas

Hey all,

On Saturday, within the span of one hour, my 18-year-old stepdaughter went from normal to non-functional. She has always had some OCD tendencies (not stepping on cracks, small little rituals), and we had all noticed that she was doing them more often. She came to us on Saturday night to talk to us about how some of the compulsions are starting to take over, and by the end of the conversation, she had no control over her hand movements, leg movements, and she couldn't speak without stuttering for a long time (like 30 seconds). We sat and watched it happen. It's been two days, and I don't see it getting better. She is constantly making loud stutter noises, and doing rituals with her hands and legs. She is mentally cognizant and can communicate with us after the stuttering, and she's able to stop it for a few seconds with some effort.

Since Saturday night, we've been three places: the ER, a mental facility, and a family practice doctor. We are having trouble finding a place here in Austin that has availability within the next few weeks and that specializes in anxiety disorders. She was prescribed Ativan by her family doctor, and it's not helping at all. I suppose it's reassuring that noone is considering this an immediate emergency, but we really need someone to help her! I know if we could get in to the proper professionals, they'd be able to diagnose, but in the meantime... this is so very tough on all of us, and most especially on her.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Has anyone seen this before? Does this sound like OCD? Can she be ok again? Ideas on how we can get her seen by someone who knows what to do? Medication thoughts? Any ideas or stories of similar experiences are so greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tammy

Last edited:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Tammy. I'm sorry this has happened to your daughter. Please stop giving her the ativan. It will only cause more problems. You said it doesn't help anyway. That's the only part of your situation I know about.

Has anything traumatic happened to her recently ?? Is there any pressure on her ??

T

Tblas

Thank you. I think it's because her siblings went back to school, so she has been home alone (with me, but I work from home). I've noticed that she seems depressed, and I guess she's had more time to allow thoughts to take over. We have been pressuring her to get a job and to take her online driver's ed. So just this whole feeling that she needs to hurry up and grow up has been the catalyst.

V

VioletRose

Have you considered consulting a neurologist? It sounds reminiscent of mini-tic like symptoms that our son encountered when he was a little guy. They were able to hook him up to electrodes to take a map of the neurological pulses he was giving off to help determine how to help him best. Not saying your daughter is having the same thing, but it is a thought.
I know anxiety and stress can do very weird things to a body. Our daughter started having heart palpitations shortly after entering college due to stress. After a variety of tests by a cardiologist, they determined it was stress and anxiety.
Perhaps taking a bit of time and going on special dates with her or joining a yoga class to go together, anything that eases anxiety might help you both. Sounds like it's been very stressful lately. Praying you get answers soon.