• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Daughter asking Questions

M

MHW

My daughter is an exceptionally (frustratingly) bright 7 year old. She has noticed that daddy takes medicine and for the past year has been satisfied with the answer that it is because I get headaches. To be fair, she and her sister so often give me headaches.

she is now more curious, and is asking why daddy gets headaches so much and always takes meds, asking if the doctors know what is wrong with me and why don’t they know, etc.

She’s also now noticing differences in behavior in that sometimes my patience and energy is much less for periods of time... (why is daddy acting different).

In reality, my shifts don’t effect mj job performance or meeting obligations at home, I still get through playing after work, making dinner, reading bedtime stories, etc. But she is noticing differences in attitude that stem from swings.

do I keep it vague- meds are for head/headache? Or do I explain the nature of the illness? She’s smart but still only 7, and I don’t know that I want her to bear the burden of knowing.

does anyone have experience/insight here? Thanks in advance!

Passionflower

Passionflower

I would give a simple explanation of Bipolar to your daughter as she is probably aware of more than you think she is. Also she may be worrying that you have got a serious illness because you take meds for your 'headaches' all the time.Better to know something than worry that it is something worse.

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

I agree with @Passionflower - I think it would be better she heard about the bi polar from you and what it means to you and those around you. Let her ask all the questions she want and be straight with her.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Bipolar Forum 2