• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dating with schizophrenia part 2

M

Metalman5

I have recently been chatting with an old friend.

she is sweet, is very brave and has been through a lot. She understands me and my schizophrenia. She used to be male but had an operation. I enjoy being her friend and talking on the phone. When we were in public , before the covid 19 diesease she would run up and hug me.

well, now she is hitting on me over the phone. I like her a lot as a friend but, am not sexually attracted to her. I do not want to break her heart but,I also do not think I want to date her. I want to remain her friend.

what should I do?

K

karl7

I have recently been chatting with an old friend.

she is sweet, is very brave and has been through a lot. She understands me and my schizophrenia. She used to be male but had an operation. I enjoy being her friend and talking on the phone. When we were in public , before the covid 19 diesease she would run up and hug me.

well, now she is hitting on me over the phone. I like her a lot as a friend but, am not sexually attracted to her. I do not want to break her heart but,I also do not think I want to date her. I want to remain her friend.

what should I do?
personally im asexual....if some girl was in to me, i would just say that sexual rlationships hold no interest for me.....but then im 44 and it would be like that, but then i remember being 20 and not getting involved too, looking back someone could have called me frigid but really i think iwas losing interest sexually and just wanted friends.

T

Thelma27

Has anyone manage to cope with a long term relationship with sczophrenia and how would you go about telling someone who is interested in a relationship that you have a mental health condition

T

Thelma27

It's not really a reply to the question just curious about how to cope in a relationship or marriage with schizophrenia

M

Metalman5

Dear thelma27 ,
When I told my best friend of 25 years that I had mental illness years ago, he became really scared and I almost lost him as a friend.

we still meet up, pre-pandemic of course , talk , play board games and do other activities. His family treats me like family and I try to treat them the the same way. His father said I was apart of the family last time I saw them and hugged me, which was very nice. So, they have learned to accept my illness.

the stigma of mental illness is horrible here in the USA. I hope it’s not as bad in Europe. So, telling someone you have mental illness is very hard. I have found it rare to find someone who can accept someone with mental illness here.

so I do not know how to tell people and try not to. Sorry I cannot answer your question, just wanted to give my 2 cents on what I have witnessed.

cheers and I hope someone can answer this question.🤔

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if you tell a women you've got schitzoprenia they'll be nice to you in a pat on head way but a serious relationship will be out of the question

M

Metalman5

Dear ramboghettouk,
where I am from you tell someone you have schizophrenia they get scared, run away and don’t talk to you anymore, especially women.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
this is quite a while ago when i was a young lunatic trying to get better, i went to uni, i'm now a college lunatic if you get my meaning

anyway there was one women who'd tell me what wonderful contributions i made to the seminars so a month before finals i decided i'd tell her why i made those contributions and if she didn't mind ask her for a date, i told her she suddenly gets up and walks off, my lesbian friend says to me your your own worse enemy, after that every time i saw the women everything i say has become a symptom as happens