• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dating troubles with schizophrenia

M

Metalman5

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else with schizophrenia had trouble dating.
I have not had a girlfriend for ten years now. I have talked with many women since then , many whom seemed interested in me but, by conversation 2 or three they run away.

I feel like we are having a good time but, it never lasts.

people who know me say I am a sweet and caring guy. So, this is starting to disturb me.

could I be in any way sending signs or vibes that I have a mental illness without saying it , like facial cues or the like? And how have others dealt with this?

cheers and thanks, metalman5

TrapRage616

TrapRage616

I dunno if I'm schizo but I am bpd. I'll tell you this dude, you like metal music too? Cool.
Anyway to answer you I'll tell you this...the world of dating is so different these days with Facebook and tinder and whatnot.

It's harder now to establish real true healthy relationships, but easier to get a date. I have severe trust issues as well and can be needy but all the sudden angry.

Maybe you are moving too fast...or not fast enough. State your intentions to her early on.

M

Metalman5

I do like metal music mostly, classic metal like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. Metallica is good too.

to make everyone laugh or sad depending on who they are, about 5 years ago I went on eharmony.com. After, I had given them lots of personal info about who I was, it said were sorry, but their are no matches for you. I at the time said “ what in the hell!” But at the time I was unemployed and I think I told the site that.

so, since then I have not tried online dating.

But anyway, maybe I am not up front enough.

cheers and thanks for the reply

ht46

ht46

I was wondering if I give of signals that I have mental illness the other day. I have just changed meds and am getting better at small amount of socializing. But I think I still appear quite expressionless and monotone with pauses in talking. Not sure but it might be obvious.

ht46

ht46

I was once on a date and she asked if I have asperger's.

M

Metalman5

Hi , ht46, I too was wondering the same thing maybe, we both pause while talking or give off weird hand signals that seem to expose our illness.

ht46

ht46

Yeah I do hand signals. I found when I was dating being public I always awkward but if it goes smoothly and you or she can entertain it's a more relaxed environment.

E

emmygw14

I've had dating experiences where the negative symptoms of my schizoaffective disorder were giving me a stand-offish vibe to people I was talking to. I would also lose my train of thought mid-sentence, making it difficult to follow conversations. My flat affect made me look not animated enough in conversations, too-- to the point where people either assumed I was not interested or just being rude.

There's small things like that which can make other people assume the worst, unfortunately-- though not everyone is like that. There are plenty of people out there who are caring and understanding to our situation, we just need to find them. Hang in there :)

M

Metalman5

Thanks, I will hang in there. I will just try to take it day by day, but it is hard

hopefully soon things will look up
At least, I have a loving family

thank you for your reply, cheers

A

AfricaJohnson

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else with schizophrenia had trouble dating.
I have not had a girlfriend for ten years now. I have talked with many women since then , many whom seemed interested in me but, by conversation 2 or three they run away.

I feel like we are having a good time but, it never lasts.

people who know me say I am a sweet and caring guy. So, this is starting to disturb me.

could I be in any way sending signs or vibes that I have a mental illness without saying it , like facial cues or the like? And how have others dealt with this?

cheers and thanks, metalman5
I tend not to date because it becomes a trigger for my mental illness which is schizophrenia

T

Thelma27

My trouble is that I want to be upfront about my schizophrenia before the person start having feelings for me because to be honest I have one failed marriage which was not really a marriage due to my schizophrenia now I just want to be happy with someone who can love me for me because I believe I understand my feelings better now