• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dating someone with Schizophrenia

B

blue_monday

So I met a guy about four months ago. He lives in a nearby city. We spent about a month and a half texting before meeting up. Prior to our first date, we had shared a little about our struggles with mental health. He asked if I had anxiety and I said yes. I actually am diagnosed with BPD but didn’t want to disclose that information just yet. He told me he also struggled with anxiety and we had a little conversation about our experience with therapy

On one first date, mental health came up again and he told me he has schizophrenia. Of course I was accepting and understanding, but didn’t ask him any questions as I felt it was best for him to volunteer any additional information than for me to pry. He did tell me that he no longer takes anti psychotic medication but keeps some anti depressants in case things get bad

He’s told me countless times how beautiful I am, how he really likes me, how he wants to go on trips away with me and he’s even introduced me to a few of his friends.

Over the past two weeks I have noticed a change. He has been working incredibly hard and rarely has a day off. Last week I told him I had noticed he wasn’t as chatty via text and he apologised and told me that it wasn’t intentional and that he didn’t feel good within himself. I offered my support and told him he could talk to me. I even offered him space if he needed it.

Initially, he was hesitant to talk but eventually told me he felt as if work had made his mental health the worst it has been in years.

I haven’t heard from him in almost a week now. I sent a message asking how he was doing. When he didn’t reply, my anxious mind that fears abandonment freaked out and sent another message asking if I had done something wrong, and then asked if he was no longer interested in me. I regret sending those messages now as I fear it may have put pressure on him. I sent a final message apologising for doing that and explained I had been feeling anxious. I told him I would give him space and that I hope we can talk soon.

I am trying to get a sense of what may be going through his mind, although I appreciate I will never fully understand. I am quite serious about him and would like to understand this illness better in order to support him if we do have a future together.

He still hasn’t replied and I’m worried that I have fully scared him off. It’s all very nerve wracking for me right now as I can’t tell if he’s ghosting me because he can’t bring himself to tell me that he doesn’t want to pursue this relationship, or if something in his mind is stopping him from communicating with me. I have a feeling I could be potentially waiting a long time to hear from him.

Does anyone have any ideas about what he may be experiencing?

L

llittlelostlady

I don't know

I wish I could help you, and I hope you manage to sort it out

you seem sweet

please keep us informed

B

blue_monday

I don't know

I wish I could help you, and I hope you manage to sort it out

you seem sweet

please keep us informed
Aw thank you. I don’t know either. I could just be overthinking it all in my head. I will keep you posted

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M when to tell someone you are dating you have schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 7
vangoghs Dating with Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 21
R Dating, schizophrenia and coping. Schizophrenia Forum 14
S Dating with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 41
P Online dating? Schizophrenia Forum 9
M Dating with schizophrenia part 2 Schizophrenia Forum 8
M Dating troubles with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 11
Q Dating - does he have a schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 4
S Warning about dating apps Schizophrenia Forum 13
BillFish Still getting matches from eharmony dating site! Schizophrenia Forum 6
O Schizophrenia or Someone from Above Schizophrenia Forum 1
O Is it Schizophrenia or is it Someone From Above? Schizophrenia Forum 9
M Can someone explain what does flat emotion feel like. Schizophrenia Forum 12
lifecangetbetter suggestions for a job with someone with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 2
R Have you ever met someone that was totally negative to you? Schizophrenia Forum 2
BEASTMODEWARRIOR Can you get in trouble for calling someone a [email protected]? Schizophrenia Forum 9
T How was someone able to inject a camera underneath my skin? Schizophrenia Forum 30
T Can someone help me right this delusion? Schizophrenia Forum 30
P Using someone's past against them Schizophrenia Forum 7
lifecangetbetter lonely. need someone to talk to who is going through what I am Schizophrenia Forum 11
T How likely is it that the TV will talk about someone's life? Schizophrenia Forum 42
D Bad Memory or Someone Playing Tricks On Me Schizophrenia Forum 10
T Can someone talk me out of this delusion? Schizophrenia Forum 39
T Help me someone. Schizophrenia Forum 27
T Can someone help me find this hidden camera? Schizophrenia Forum 36
THE MANDALORIAN What can you do, when someone you love hurts you? Schizophrenia Forum 1
T How can there be a camera so small implanted in someone? Schizophrenia Forum 64
Mr.NiceGuy Putting your thoughts into someone else's head Schizophrenia Forum 6
B Sometimes I feel that someone is inside my body because my features change and my face becomes tight and ugly. And I can talk to him when the conversa Schizophrenia Forum 4
D No control..i haven't slept in 2 days....wtf I need to talk to someone who experience is similar to mine Schizophrenia Forum 20
Confusedandanxious Does distraction work to calm someone? Schizophrenia Forum 18
S maybe this will "enlighten" someone what people behind voices are trying to do.. Schizophrenia Forum 4
S would anyone like someone to talk to today? Schizophrenia Forum 3
P Would you date someone who has schizophrenia too? Schizophrenia Forum 13
S Finding forgiveness for someone with schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 3
O Has anyone here ever known someone to be schizophrenic or borderline and overcome it? Schizophrenia Forum 29
A Just tired of being alone in this, does someone understand? Schizophrenia Forum 7
A My girlfriend has schizophrenia...Someone Please Help Me???? Schizophrenia Forum 20
R Need help and a friend or someone to calm me down (schizoaffective, agroaphobia) Schizophrenia Forum 3
chesterking Have you ever had thoughts of wanting to harm someone? Schizophrenia Forum 2
W It's been really difficult lately, can someone give me some good advice. Schizophrenia Forum 6
D Loving someone with Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 4
C Love with someone suffering from Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 2
H can someone please define in simple to understand terms what schizophrenia is please Schizophrenia Forum 2
F Are you really at risk of attack by someone with schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 1
D Contact Us Here All Past and Former Colleages of Nottshure Codpiece Cowndee CownerSull Foh UpGriefs are In Someone's Mind Dye Cos E Left Uh... Schizophrenia Forum 1
S someone please help Schizophrenia Forum 6
T Someone help me please losing the will to live Schizophrenia Forum 7
F someone's taken control of my eyes Schizophrenia Forum 1
J schizophrenia and hearing voices someone please help me Schizophrenia Forum 4