• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dating Someone with DID?

I

Iostdaia

So I've recently started seeing someone with DID, he hasn't explained anything to me but I've been looking up things to do with supporting people with it. I haven't experienced any other side to him either I don't think. Seeing as I'm recently new to the forum I thought maybe I could come to you, and just ask what's best to do? Like if he has a weird one (sorry, don't know how to describe it, episode?), is it nice to hear comforting things? And do you think I should chat to him about it, or let him tell me more? He's told me why, about his childhood, so I understand what could trigger him and what to not talk about. To be honest I just really care about him and I have things going on with myself and I just want to be able to help him if he's not okay

Also this might be in the wrong section so please feel free to move it but I thought this would be the best place :)

L

lovagemuffin

Hi you obviously really care about him and it great you can have a nice relationship despite his problems your a good person.

Mister.B

Mister.B

Like if he has a weird one (sorry, don't know how to describe it, episode?), is it nice to hear comforting things? And do you think I should chat to him about it, or let him tell me more?
If he has a transition, just talk to whoever is using the body.
This way, you can talk to the others in his system and you will gain insight into who they are.
Aside from that, as you might imagine, it would be strange for someone to call you by another name and tell you you're not who you think you are.

Sometimes there is an other who is conscious of the rest of the others in the system.
This is often the protector (but it doesn't have to be).
Once you know that other is aware of the system you can maybe ask that other to allow your boyfriend to use the body again.

It's all quite a lot to take on board, I know.
I think that if he is comfortable talking about it, you should, because it differs from case to case.

Hope this helped and I didn't misinterpret the question. :)

I

Iostdaia

Thank you! That helps a lot! So far I don't think he's made any transition (although I do try to keep an eye out), but from the way he is with me I think I'd notice if sometime was different straight away. He's being very open with me about his childhood, not quite yet much on DID though.

And yes I care about him a lot! It's really odd for me but I do

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Dissociation, Depersonalisation and Derealisation 6