• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dating someone with bipolar 1.

M

Mia78

Hi. About 5 months ago I had an ex boyfriend from when I was younger contact me. We started talking and feelings came back pretty quick. For the most part it has been long distance. He is moving back this summer all of his family lives where I do.
That being said he can be all in and go 4 days without talking and a little more stand offish. He is under a tremendous amount of stress right now. So on Newyrs I ended up telling him I was backing off he could get in touch when he wanted too. Also told him to have a great year which I know sounds like I'm done talking.
Later that night he was drinking he wrote me and blew up said I caused chaos in his life, that he told me he was hurting and I wouldn't listen, leave him alone. I was so hurt by it esp after this is someone who has even said he still loves me and wants to be near me.
So now we have not spoken in 25 days of course I feel like he meant what he said and is not sorry...even though deep down I don't believe this.
I started really thinking the stress and the bipolar is more what caused this outburst his illness and not really him as a person.
I want to be there for him and feel like I abandoned him and was way to pushy. I want to give him space and I'm hurt. Another thing he is drinking some and not on meds so it's not good. Should I leave him alone? Reach out? Any advice would be appreciated.

J

JeanPierre

Leave him be.
He is not even trying. Your life would be hell.
Just because he has a mental illness does not mean he can be unkind and drinking.
You cannot fix him. Take care of yourself first. It is hard. I'm so sorry.
Welcome here.

M

Mia78

Leave him be.
He is not even trying. Your life would be hell.
Just because he has a mental illness does not mean he can be unkind and drinking.
You cannot fix him. Take care of yourself first. It is hard. I'm so sorry.
Welcome here.
Thanks you are right. Having some mental issues myself I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt but I also get treatment and try.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi. About 5 months ago I had an ex boyfriend from when I was younger contact me.
Later that night he was drinking he wrote me and blew up said I caused chaos in his life
i recommend never trying to recapture the past. the past is gone and both people are different now. its impossible to bring the past back.

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” -Heraclitus

i remember once i talked to one of my X's on facebook and after a short time she wrote me a giant long rant about all the things she was mad at lol. she seemed so pissed that i got freaked out and had to block her because i was scared she might end up getting so riled up she would go to the cops or something. and that was the last thing i needed for mistakes made so long ago. so i just ghosted her. so shes probably even more pissed now lol. once i ghosted two friends and then eventually talked to them again and within a short time they both ghosted me back, probably out of revenge lol