• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dating someone depressed: What can I do?

A

AngryBird21

I understand that not everyone experiences the similar kind of things through depression or even if they do, don't choose to respond to the experiences in a similar way but I really would like to know some of the experiences of others in my situation.

The person I have been seeing for almost 2 years now is severely depressed. He is 26, unemployed and lives with his emotionally abusive (sometimes physically too) toxic parents. He got a job offer 2 years back but rejected it because he wanted to pursue research but things didn't quite pan out as planned and with the pandemic, getting a job got even harder. You have to understand here that we live in a third world country which is overpopulated and employment as well as higher educational opportunities are very scarce alongwith a very poor if not almost non existent mental health infrastructure. Most of us just cannot afford therapy and the little free counseling that can availed becomes difficult to access because our parents still stigmatize it.

So there's really isn't much that can be done here to actually help the situation. He has been very pessimistic and doesn't really feel happy about anything anymore. I feel helpless and the fact that he is so depressed affects me too. It's a lot of negativity to be around.

How can I create healthy boundaries yet still be there for him through this?

M

ManDss

Hmm , quite hard. People who feel depressed due job are really hard to help in my experience, theres nothing worse as feeling like unworthy in life.

Be there for him, maybe the best you can do. Ask him how he feels, be warm with him. Go out, make him distract from his problems.

But at the end, depending on how bad he feels, he can stlll feel pretty bad.

M

Mistral

You need to make sure you are in a good place yourself as your relationship will struggle unless you are able to cope with the strains that having a relationship with someone with depression puts on you. I would not try to be a therapist or psychologist for your boyfriend. He needs practical help from you.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

You need to make sure you are in a good place yourself as your relationship will struggle unless you are able to cope with the strains that having a relationship with someone with depression puts on you. I would not try to be a therapist or psychologist for your boyfriend. He needs practical help from you.
Very good advice, you give.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C I lost my mother a girl i was dating and my best friend Depression Forum 1
S Online dating and making things worse for myself. Depression Forum 10
S Should I go back on the dating sites x Depression Forum 15
J how to help someone who doesn't want help Depression Forum 4
Y Reaching out to someone in need Depression Forum 3
Catty5 Alone....need someone to talk. Depression Forum 18
F Writing a letter to someone who has passed and keeping a blog Depression Forum 5
H Supporting someone with depression Depression Forum 2
A Wish i had someone to talk to Depression Forum 10
L how can someone have EVERYTHING and the other have hardly ANYTHING Depression Forum 17
N Hope this helps someone Depression Forum 6
H How do I support someone with depression? Depression Forum 16
R I need someone to talk to if possible. Depression Forum 18
M Someone would like to talk by call sometime ? Depression Forum 3
A Need Someone to Talk To.... Depression Forum 6
L Living with Someone You Hate Depression Forum 18
E I just need someone to speak to... I’m really struggling and can’t talk to anyone else Depression Forum 15
J Hello All. Living with someone in depression Depression Forum 1
S Flirting with someone who's more successful than you Depression Forum 17
L does someone want to chat about SSRIs and failing meds? Depression Forum 5
L NEED HELP SOMEONE PLEASE Depression Forum 8
L I just want someone to care.... Depression Forum 4
K How to help someone who has tried to commit suicide (two times) Depression Forum 6
S Someone tell I will be okay Depression Forum 8
W Advice needed for a relationship with someone suffering with severe depression Depression Forum 6
M New here, need to talk to someone Depression Forum 9
S Do you think gender actually matters when diagnosing someone? Depression Forum 3
M Looking for someone I can seriously speek Depression Forum 7
A Fancy Carp Depressed, lonely, awkward. Anyone want to just shoot the breeze? Depression Forum 35
I Feeling depressed lost my job Depression Forum 5
FallingLeaves "This could be why you're depressed or anxious" Depression Forum 19
L Depressed for a long time Depression Forum 6
whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123) can’t stand being depressed from ptsd Depression Forum 3
O Feeling more depressed Depression Forum 5
T Suicide attempt = depressed? Depression Forum 2
J I tend to get more depressed at night. Depression Forum 16
K My depressed boyfriend dumped me does he come back? Depression Forum 9
Amelia2020 Feel depressed about how distant and cold my family is Depression Forum 6
I Feel very depressed Depression Forum 21
J Depressed friend ignoring me Depression Forum 6
L Feeling Depressed Depression Forum 5
P I feel so useless and depressed because I can't drive Depression Forum 2
L Depressed partner help Depression Forum 2
T I think my friend is depressed. Depression Forum 7
C Relationship Troubles and Depressed Partner (depressed boyfriend) Depression Forum 1
L My depressed fiancée doesn't want me around anymore. Depression Forum 2
D I just let my problems stay as is and I don't do anything about them... too anxious to do what's needed, too depressed to want to do anything at all Depression Forum 4
S Does anyone have issues sleeping etc when severely depressed? Depression Forum 3
S Need some advice about a man with depression (I am depressed too) Depression Forum 12
L Depressed Depression Forum 7