• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Dating - does he have a schizophrenia?

Q

QueenMay

Hello All,
I hope maybe some of you would be able to help me. One month ago I met very nice guy, he's 26 years old. We like each other, have great chemistry, he's caring, intelligent, a bit nerdy (he works in robotic field). Quite early when we were seeing each other he told me he has a mild OCD (he is not officialy diagnosed and it started quite long time ago) but I decided it's not a problem. He told me also he has difficulties with sleeping, he tends to raise a voice, sometimes he has melancholic mood. After our last date we were walking on the street and he got very anxious and told me to go to the other side of the street with him. He later said "I thought this guy (who was passing by) had a bomb". Then he sxplained he heard some king of ticking and the guy had a package. I did not see or hear anything suspicious. He also do not like changes and seems neurotic. He has a lot of friends, he lives with flatmates, he has normal job. Do you think these sympthoms may be a schizophrenia?

P

philips

I agree with poppy doll, it's impossible to say if it is or isn't schizophrenia based on these symptoms, it even takes psychiatrists months to diagnose. Since he's already brought up the OCD with you could you maybe talk to him about how that effects him? If he feels like you're not judging him about it he might open up more. I would be very careful about using terms like schizophrenia with him though, these can also be symptoms of extreme anxiety so don't automatically jump to conclusions.

Q

QueenMay

I was investigating futher. He told me his OCD was not diagnosed and he is not sure he has it at all. And that what he said was the dumbest thing he ever said and that is becasue he was so head over heels after the date and his "mind" tricked him. He said it was irrational indeed. What do you think?

P

philips

I know you've just started dating and you're probably really worried about it but I wouldn't look too much in to it. If it really was schizophrenia you wouldn't have any doubt about there being something wrong. Unless there are other incidents like it I'd put it down to stress and move on.