• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dangerous model life

V

Vico85

Hi everyone, I am new to the community and I would really like to hear your advice.

At this time last year I started losing weight for my new modeling career. I went down in weight by quite a lot (my height is 175cm). Soon after that my hair started falling and I had bulimic episodes. Then it was extremely hard for me to maintain my weight at that level and I started gaining. But I gained a lot, and my body fat percentage is higher. My body transformed.

Every day I regret that I started modeling and I feel deeply insecure about my body. I can't stop emotional eating and I am sad for what happened.

I would appreciate it if you could share with me your opinion and how did you got out of this vicious cycle of emotional eating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Desire less

Desire less

Usually when you make things beside yourself too important you pay a price.
Hope you recover soon. :hug:

P

Purpleplum

Have you gotten any therapy? There are emotional reasons behind eating disorders besides the desire to lose weight. If you don't treat that part, it doesn't go away.

H

HcC21

Hi everyone, I am new to the community and I would really like to hear your advice.

At this time last year I started losing weight for my new modeling career. I went down in weight by quite a lot (my height is 175cm). Soon after that my hair started falling and I had bulimic episodes. Then it was extremely hard for me to maintain my weight at that level and I started gaining. But I gained a lot, and my body fat percentage is higher. My body transformed.

Every day I regret that I started modeling and I feel deeply insecure about my body. I can't stop emotional eating and I am sad for what happened.

I would appreciate it if you could share with me your opinion and how did you got out of this vicious cycle of emotional eating.
Hello love,

Thank you for sharing your story. I can hear the sadness and frustration through your words. If I may ask, how did you lose the weight? Were you told that you needed to lose weight for your modeling role? Are you still modeling? Do you still have bulimic episodes?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Welcome to the forums to all the new posters here. We are glad that you found us and hope you will your time here. xo, j

V

Vico85

Hello love,

Thank you for sharing your story. I can hear the sadness and frustration through your words. If I may ask, how did you lose the weight? Were you told that you needed to lose weight for your modeling role? Are you still modeling? Do you still have bulimic episodes?

V

Vico85

Hello love,

Hello love,

Thank you for your understanding. Yes, I was told that I need to lose weight and I started keto diet. That's how I lost lots of weight. But after that it started coming back like yo-yo effects, just like people say. I am not doing modeling rn, but my agency is waiting for me to lose weight again. I like modeling but I guess I need time to figure out how to find the balance. And no, fortunately I do not have those episodes anymore.

H

HcC21

Thank you for your understanding. Yes, I was told that I need to lose weight and I started keto diet. That's how I lost lots of weight. But after that it started coming back like yo-yo effects, just like people say. I am not doing modeling rn, but my agency is waiting for me to lose weight again. I like modeling but I guess I need time to figure out how to find the balance. And no, fortunately I do not have those episodes anymore.

I'm so glad to hear that you are no longer experiencing those episodes. That can become very challenging and scary to overcome.

I hear you about the yo-yo dieting. The diet industry is really good at advertising weight loss. What it doesn't advertise is all the harmful emotional and biological side effects that come with dieting- including weight gain. When you diet, your body thinks you're starving (even if you're not literally starving, but your body doesn't know the difference) so as a survival mechanism, it slows your metabolism way down and stores more fat because it doesn't know when you'll be eating again. Putting your body in this state over and over again makes it really difficult and even impossible to lose weight.

I started dieting when I was 11 years old and the diet mentality/lifestyle stuck with me well into my 30's. But after learning what it does to you over time, I had to let it go and started listening to my own body. Our bodies really do know best, we just have to listen to them.

I don't know much about the modeling industry, but I've heard other people talk about their experiences of that environment being toxic and unhealthy for their self-image. It sounds like you really love modeling and that is wonderful. I'm curious to know if there are other modeling agencies out there that welcome humans of all sizes and shapes? Perhaps you'd be interested in exploring working for another agency where you feel accepted and not criticized for your body?

Your current modeling agency is placing exceptions and limitations on you because of your size. Essentially they are saying, "You're not good enough for us because you aren't ___ size." You deserve to be happy in your own skin no matter your size. They're the problem. Not you, love.

*Check out "Health and Every Size" and "Intuitive Eating."

V

Vico85

I'm so glad to hear that you are no longer experiencing those episodes. That can become very challenging and scary to overcome.

I hear you about the yo-yo dieting. The diet industry is really good at advertising weight loss. What it doesn't advertise is all the harmful emotional and biological side effects that come with dieting- including weight gain. When you diet, your body thinks you're starving (even if you're not literally starving, but your body doesn't know the difference) so as a survival mechanism, it slows your metabolism way down and stores more fat because it doesn't know when you'll be eating again. Putting your body in this state over and over again makes it really difficult and even impossible to lose weight.

I started dieting when I was 11 years old and the diet mentality/lifestyle stuck with me well into my 30's. But after learning what it does to you over time, I had to let it go and started listening to my own body. Our bodies really do know best, we just have to listen to them.

I don't know much about the modeling industry, but I've heard other people talk about their experiences of that environment being toxic and unhealthy for their self-image. It sounds like you really love modeling and that is wonderful. I'm curious to know if there are other modeling agencies out there that welcome humans of all sizes and shapes? Perhaps you'd be interested in exploring working for another agency where you feel accepted and not criticized for your body?

Your current modeling agency is placing exceptions and limitations on you because of your size. Essentially they are saying, "You're not good enough for us because you aren't ___ size." You deserve to be happy in your own skin no matter your size. They're the problem. Not you, love.

*Check out "Health and Every Size" and "Intuitive Eating."
Thank you for everything you said. I will check. But still, this was a big shock for my body and mind and I need time to get over it and to stop being frustrated about it.