• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Damaged Personality Disorder

A

abaddyn

Founding Member
I was in a relationship for over six years that was royally messed up at times, but until recently things always "worked out" eventually. I've been seeing a therapist now and it has become very apparent that she has Damaged Personality Disorder, a.k.a. the self-defined victim, commonly known as "playing the victim."

I can't seem to find much on the subject, and my next appointment isn't until next week.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

D

Dollit

If you search for damaged personality disorder you will find a couple of pages. It's not in DSM IV but may be included in DSM V. If your therapist thinks that your partner has this then at the moment that's actually more speculation than fact. Diagnosis of mental health problems can't usually be made via another person. I would concentrate more on yourself than your partner and find a way of dealing with things yourself to make your life easier.

A

abaddyn

Founding Member
thanks

thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice dollit.

i didn't think therapists diagnosed via another person either, but my ex went to one and told her a bunch of distortions and exaggerations of my actions, and the therapist (according to my ex) diagnosed me as mentally abusive. I offered to come to one of the appointments but she declined at first and hasn't asked me to since. Doesn't this seem sketchy?

Then my ex says she doesn't think I'm mentally abusive anymore because my therapist says I am most definitely not and because I wrote a couple letters describing what things were like from my perspective; and now my ex says that she doesn't know if I am or not. I was accused of being mentally abusive by my ex a few of months ago as well while we were still together and then she changed her mind. Never did she apologize for the torment that she put me through by the way. Not to mention the torment of extreme unnecessary guilt over six years for doing petty wrongs.

I don't know how to feel about myself, really.

D

Dollit

I should imagine you feel pretty confused. Whether your ex has a mental health problem or not it doesn't sound like it was a healthy relationship. Been there and done that so many times myself. But concentrate on healing yourself and that can be done.

Learn to be good to yourself and give yourself time. Learn who you are again. It's good fun. :)