• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Daily Panic Attacks & Anxiety

N

North Star

Hallo lovely people,

I want to share my experience here and maybe some of you could give me some tips

I have been experiencing severe anxiety and very intence panic attacks for the last 9 months. It has come to a point where i am not able to do every day stuff

Panic attacks started happening in the train and then they happened everywhere. At the grocery store, at work, at the park, even at home. Sometimes it was so bad i thought i was having a heart attack. I ruled out this possibility by doing all the tests with my doctor.

At this point it is so bad that I can barely go to work everyday. I walk half stations so im not in the train ( i get extremely nauseus and shaky, and i cant breathe) I can not meet anyone not even to go for a walk. I cant drive or even be a passenger in a car without having an attackand the worst part is the terrible nausea that comes with it.

My doctor gave me Escitalopram (Lexapro) which i havent taken, because i wanted to deal with this without drugs. ( also the rewiews online for this drug are terrible)

The problem is that i am now so DONE , exhausted and terrorized by it that im thinking to take them. Anyone here took this medication and can tell me their experience?

Any other tip/ advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance!

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hallo lovely people,

I want to share my experience here and maybe some of you could give me some tips

I have been experiencing severe anxiety and very intence panic attacks for the last 9 months. It has come to a point where i am not able to do every day stuff

Panic attacks started happening in the train and then they happened everywhere. At the grocery store, at work, at the park, even at home. Sometimes it was so bad i thought i was having a heart attack. I ruled out this possibility by doing all the tests with my doctor.

At this point it is so bad that I can barely go to work everyday. I walk half stations so im not in the train ( i get extremely nauseus and shaky, and i cant breathe) I can not meet anyone not even to go for a walk. I cant drive or even be a passenger in a car without having an attackand the worst part is the terrible nausea that comes with it.

My doctor gave me Escitalopram (Lexapro) which i havent taken, because i wanted to deal with this without drugs. ( also the rewiews online for this drug are terrible)

The problem is that i am now so DONE , exhausted and terrorized by it that im thinking to take them. Anyone here took this medication and can tell me their experience?

Thanks in advance!
Hey there I’m so sorry for your experiences with panic attacks. It sounds completely overwhelming it must be awful! I was on Lexapro for Depression several years ago and I cannot say enough good things about it. It lifted my mood and sort of put a platform under it so my mood could only get so low and not lower. I had no side effects, just the benefit of the med. I would strongly recommend that you try it. As with all meds they work different for everyone. However when doctors prescribe they do so with the understanding that for every med the benefits are going to outweigh the drawbacks. I do hope you will give Lexapro a try especially since you have been suffering such bad symptoms. Sometimes you have to try a few different meds before you are able to find one that works best for you and Lexapro seems like a good place to start. xo, j

N

North Star

Hey there I’m so sorry for your experiences with panic attacks. It sounds completely overwhelming it must be awful! I was on Lexapro for Depression several years ago and I cannot say enough good things about it. It lifted my mood and sort of put a platform under it so my mood could only get so low and not lower. I had no side effects, just the benefit of the med. I would strongly recommend that you try it. As with all meds they work different for everyone. However when doctors prescribe they do so with the understanding that for every med the benefits are going to outweigh the drawbacks. I do hope you will give Lexapro a try especially since you have been suffering such bad symptoms. Sometimes you have to try a few different meds before you are able to find one that works best for you and Lexapro seems like a good place to start. xo, j
Thank you so much ! Its actually great to hear that this medication helped , most if not all of the reviews I read were so terrible that i got super scared. But you are right, it works differently for everyone...I think ill give it a try :)

2Much2Feel

Thank you so much ! Its actually great to hear that this medication helped , most if not all of the reviews I read were so terrible that i got super scared. But you are right, it works differently for everyone...I think ill give it a try :)
Definitely. There are meds that can totally help you get past this. I was put on a small dose of klonopin and desiprimine (tricyclic antidepressant) for mine, which had gotten so out of control I couldn't do anything anymore. It gave me my life back, really worked. There are things out there that can turn this around.

Karmaman

Karmaman

They may work for you. Everybody is different. They didn't for me, like so many haven't. I hope things get better. Anxiety and panic attacks can be so debilitating.

N

North Star

thank you all for your comments :) I will start the medication tomorrow and lets hope for the best :)

Readytobehappy

Readytobehappy

Hey have you started taking the Lexapro? Last week I started Serimel & the side effects for me weren't great so today I have been prescribed Lexapro. Im very nervous about taking it but its a small dose at 5mg x

N

North Star

Hey have you started taking the Lexapro? Last week I started Serimel & the side effects for me weren't great so today I have been prescribed Lexapro. Im very nervous about taking it but its a small dose at 5mg x
Hey! I started it yesterday, also 5mg . I didnt notice any side effects yet only my anxiety is at the roof ( but it was before too). But of course the medication needs time to work, it is only the second day. But nothing bad so far!

I will post an update here at the end of the week and let you know how it is! :)

Readytobehappy

Readytobehappy

Hey! I started it yesterday, also 5mg . I didnt notice any side effects yet only my anxiety is at the roof ( but it was before too). But of course the medication needs time to work, it is only the second day. But nothing bad so far!

I will post an update here at the end of the week and let you know how it is! :)
Aw thank you so much! It would help as I'm waiting a few days to take it. I have a lot on this week and then a bit of a break and that'll allow for some side effects if I does happen. I hope it works for you!. Anxiety is so debilitating

N

North Star

UPDATE: so here is an update on my first week on Lexapro. ( actually today is the 9th day)
The first 5 days were really bad. My anxiety was terrible, I had nausea all the time and I was super tired and sleepy. (But my anxiety and nausea were bad before starting the medication too)
On the 6th and 7th day I was feeling way better, less stressed, my mood was better
On the 8th day I upped my dose to 10mg and the whole day was terrible , specially my stomach.
Today (day 9) I feel waaaay better, I had some anxiety on the train to work but other than that im ok, lets see if it lasts.

One think that I noticed is that on my first 3 doses I got a weird needle-like sensation under my skin that felt terrible and lasted for a couple minutes and then went away. I felt like being poisoned (but this could also be in my mind because I got scared from all the terrible things I read online about this medication). Luckily it went away and I didn't have it again .

In general I can not say I had terrible side effects , these side effects were normal as my body is not yet used to the medication. I will give it a chance to work...

If this is helpful for anyone I can keep updating.

much love,
xxx

M

Mav2126

Hallo lovely people,

Thanks in advance!
Take propranolol for your panic attacks it works and it has no side effects - very safe - its just a beta blocker. I know from experience that panic attacks is about the worse thing that can happen to you - absolutely horrible - and makes you not want to do anything cause your afraid it will start an attack. My heart goes out to you.

G

Gabriella0721

Sorry to hear that you've been suffering. I suffer from panic attacks quite frequently and it's awful. Pre pandemic I only used to suffer from slight social anxiety and I could easily get my mind off it by drinking but that no longer works for me. I get them everywhere as well and I have also tried to do it medicine free with the exception of taking xanax when I'm in situations where I can't escape. It's exhausting and I've developed a touch of agoraphobia from it. If you get the right medicine it might help, but before you take something your pcp prescribes it might be better to get evaluated by a psychiatrist. I myself am waiting to get in with one bc I have tried Buspar, Cymbalta, Celexa, Lexapro and none of those have work, they've instead either induced mania in me that wasn't there before, have given me allergic reactions or sent my heart into what felt like overdrive. There are certain medicines that target people with panic disorders specifically like Prozac and Zoloft and those *seem* to work better from the reviews I see. Hope you get some relief!!! But also don't be afraid to try medicine either, sometimes it's a blessing.

N

North Star

Sorry to hear that you've been suffering. I suffer from panic attacks quite frequently and it's awful. Pre pandemic I only used to suffer from slight social anxiety and I could easily get my mind off it by drinking but that no longer works for me. I get them everywhere as well and I have also tried to do it medicine free with the exception of taking xanax when I'm in situations where I can't escape. It's exhausting and I've developed a touch of agoraphobia from it. If you get the right medicine it might help, but before you take something your pcp prescribes it might be better to get evaluated by a psychiatrist. I myself am waiting to get in with one bc I have tried Buspar, Cymbalta, Celexa, Lexapro and none of those have work, they've instead either induced mania in me that wasn't there before, have given me allergic reactions or sent my heart into what felt like overdrive. There are certain medicines that target people with panic disorders specifically like Prozac and Zoloft and those *seem* to work better from the reviews I see. Hope you get some relief!!! But also don't be afraid to try medicine either, sometimes it's a blessing.
I am so sorry that you go through that too....
Actually it was my psychiatrist who pescribed me the Lexapro, I am on the 3rd week now on it and I can say that i already feel much much better, all the side effects are gone and my anxiety is way lower than before.
I asked my psychiatrist about Xanax too, because I thought having something for a moment that I cant escape ( train, plane etc) is better than being on medication all the time, and he said that is not good because medication like Xanax can be very addictive.

I hope it gets better for you too, stay strong!

Much love,
xxx