• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

daily affirmations

S

saffron

affirmations are used as a self help auditory mental technique and helps create positive and new mental processes. The idea is that if you tell yourself something enough times your subconscious mind accepts it. Affirmations have the ability to change negative thought patterns, attitudes and beliefs.

Affirmations are are perfectly normal technique because whether we realize it or not, we have a constant inner dialogue going on within our minds, all day long! The problem with this is that our inner-talk is not always as positive as we would like it to be, and so this is where affirmations come in very handy - because instead of mentally criticizing ourselves, we instead repeat a positive affirmation to ourselves to keep our mind focused on the positive. This blocks the flow of negative thoughts and helps to program your subconscious for whatever goal you have focused it upon, with your affirmation.

I beleive this helped me give up smoking. I told myself constantly when smoking that the taste and smell was making me feel sick. this went on for a few days and I realised I was gradually starting to withdraw from wanting to smoke, Then one day someone offered me a fag and I took one puff and it made me feel so sick I had to put it out and go outside for some fresh air.

So I challenge everyone to write one positive thing about themselves or something they want to achieve on a piece of paper and stick it to the mirror, every time you look in the mirror say the mantra and try to say it all day at regular interviews.

Good luck

Mine will be 'I deserve to be happy'

S

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Hi Saffron.

You DO deserve to be happy. :)

Thanks for posting and reminding me to be more self-affirming.

Just seconds before I read your post I was amending my life 'wish'. Where I had put "I will have..." or "I will be" I changed it to "I am" and "I have". I don't want happiness always being something I reach for and never get....so I AM happy and well and healthy. Yes, it's pretend - at least at first....like your smoking story....but soon it will be real.

Peas, love and happiness to y'all.
:grouphug:

P.s. Lest I slip into my bad habit of being negative...please feel free to remind me if I'm ever posting whining complaining stuff again!:rolleyes:
I'm sure I will 'cause bad habits are hard to break, but I will succeed...:grouphug:

S

saffron

hey G
thank you and so do you. it a very powerfull thing the mind.
S

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
(y)
What a brilliant idea.
"I am happy and things are going to get better and better."

J

JaxJax

Well said

Hey,

Well said! I have recently been doing a lot of work retraining my brain, to think positives instead of negatives. (I have just started a journal on the forum about it) One thing I found is I often would forget to do positive affirmations in a day, so as I swim for a hour twice a week, I now use that whole hour to say positive affirmations to myself, and I come out smiling.

Thanx

Jax x :grouphug:

S

saffron

Yes its so easy to focus on negative things I think this is a human affliction, how many times do we remember something nasty said or thought about us but brush off or forget the nice things. It really affects our self worth.

I have often heard that the more you hear something the more you beleive it,
so positive self tallk is used to boost confidence and esteem in all walks of life, whether in sport or in business or in love and daily life.

Im so glad you find this a help as it is such an easy thing to do and cost nothing (thats rare today eh)

best wishes
S

J

jamesdean

:D:LOL:I agree if you do something enough then maybe it just becomes normal I was in capable of loving my self but I tell myself all the time that I'm a lovely person and sometimes I even believe it, I mean this sincerly James

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
James you are a lovely person.
KP

S

saffron

We are all special, I just wished we could all believe it in ourselves eh. :hug:

I think that everyday at 3 PM we should all tell ourselves something positive.

S

J

jamesdean

I just read that kate moss paid a restaurant bill of £30,000 for new years, I dont think my dreams or wishs are so extradionarily over the top, whot did she evr do more humain to disserve all that money look pretty and take loads of cocaine honestly this world is upside down.:mad:ness honestly.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I just read that kate moss paid a restaurant bill of £30,000 for new years,
What on earth did she order? :eek::rolleyes:

P.s. Affirmation: I am cute and funny and kind.

A

Apotheosis

I think that everyday at 3 PM we should all tell ourselves something positive. S
Was that time random? It's the miracle hour - 3pm. As opposed to the "devils" or witching Hour - which is 3am - which is incidentally almost here.