• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dad is 75 and losing it mentally

J

jdohe

I will try and be brief here so people will actually read this message and respond.
Today my dad spent 4 hours cleaning the microwave oven and 5 hours cleaning just the outside of the refrigerator. He is doing that even though the entire house is in disarray since having floor tile installed last week. There is a layer of dust all over everything in the house from the tile removal and replacement. The furniture and plastic tubs that were moved to make the floor accessible for the tile work are in the garage and porch and dining room making it impossible to open the freezer in the garage, impossible to get to the washing machine and dryer, impossible to get to the back porch.

Anyway, I don't think he is getting proper medical care. He goes to a general physician who prescribes him things like Prozac, Paxil, Xanax, Zoloft - all of which make him a babbling zombie. Should a general family doctor be prescribing drugs for mental health? I don't expect that an optometrist would be prescribing heart medication or meds for ulcers or diabetes, but a family doctor is prescribing drugs that alter the brain? It seems to me that those drugs should not be prescribed without an evaluation from a psychiatrist or something.

Lastly, why wouldn't a drug such as lithium be good for my dad?

N

NrLondonGuy

Yeh - maybe see if he can get referred to a pychiatrist as tehy have a better knwoeldge of medicaiotns sepcially if ones GP is taking don't seem to be working. Also some GP's won't prescribe certain drugs likeantipychotics that can help so tey can limite wahts available. My GP's are very limited in what they give me and I have to go thorugh CMHT. May be better to get a more expert opinion if you feel its just meds he needs. What about therpies and stuff?

N

NrLondonGuy

would't worry about the cleaning thing if its not an obsessive thing -- maybe its just keeping his mind off things though maybe a sign he needs to talk about stuff or meds