• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

D s h

Wendy

Wendy

Dsh delibarate self harm is what the medical proffesionals call it.Maybe they do it to make us feel ashamed.we call it s/h.
I have been treated most cruelly by a+e in the past,waiting all night for treatment and being sown up without antiseptic.
Anyone else suffered as well at the hands of the system.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I am lucky that I have never needed treatment. Only once was an ambulance called owing to s/h (it wasn't necessary) and the folks were very sweet and kind. I am sorry you have had bad experiences in A + E.

S

*Sapphire*

Oh Wendy I am so sorry you have been treated so badly. If you can remember the time and date you were given stitches without anaesthetic then I would write a complaint to the hospital about it, because that is a violation of your rights to be treated like any other person who comes in with a similar complaint that was not caused by self injury.

Unfortunately yes i have been treated most terribly at times when I have presented with self injurious behavior - I won't go into details right now, maybe I will at a later date. I guess they were hoping it would put me off doing it again, but I still ended up back there the next evening having done it again. So obviously their methods do not work. They just serve to make the person feel worse.

Having said that there have been occasions where I have been treated as I should and with compassion and I am truly thankful for that. TBH if it was not for one doctor, the ambulance staff, the A&E staff and some nurses that went the extra mile then I really would not be alive right now, and that is no exageration so on the whole I really can not complain. My worse experiences have been on eating disorders units and under the care of other organisations, not where staff were involved in life or death situations. The last time I was in one, my family and my friends got involved writing to the local mp, the PALs officer, instigated meetings with the ward manager etc, everyone they could, it was appalling, and I guess that is just the tip of the iceberg of the appalling state the NHS is in at the moment.

Last edited:
Wendy

Wendy

Thank you sapphire I wish I had made a complaint,it was years ago I cut my leg and felt to guilty about it so I didn't complain.

Recently a friend of mine took an overdose,she's not stupid as she was a nurse herself.Every time a staff member came to her notes they were put to the back again.She was feeling bad enough anyway.

The staff should treat sh the same as other illnesses.

D

Devon

I have been treated most cruelly by a+e in the past,waiting all night for treatment and being sown up without antiseptic.
Anyone else suffered as well at the hands of the system.
This may sound like acting out but in such a case I would probably deck the nurse or doctor involved and say "I never asked for your help in the first place."

It may sound like inappropriate behaviour but you don't get your cake and eat it.

If you force any act on someone and that includes unconsented treatment then you have to expect some form of retaliation.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
This may sound like acting out but in such a case I would probably deck the nurse or doctor involved and say "I never asked for your help in the first place."

It may sound like inappropriate behaviour but you don't get your cake and eat it.

If you force any act on someone and that includes unconsented treatment then you have to expect some form of retaliation.
Not sure if this was the point of the post. The fact that you attend an a and e department volunterily indicates your consent to treatment. Albeit treatment given should be given that is approprite, to the highest possible standard and in a caring way weather its through SH or Not. I only had one bad experiance in a and e. I complained to PALS but not sure it did any good

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Dsh delibarate self harm is what the medical proffesionals call it.Maybe they do it to make us feel ashamed.QUOTE]

From a slightly more medical point of view the phrase accidental self harm can also come in to play. Sometimes a distinction between the two is so that
person gets the right help

D

Devon

The fact that you attend an a and e department volunterily indicates your consent to treatment.
Ah apologies if I misunderstood the OP.
My thoughts were going along the lines that if one were brought to hospital NOT of one's own consent.

Wendy

Wendy

Hi Intelgal,sorry never heard of accidental,self harm.I didn't choose to be pinned down on a trolley and have my leg sewn up without an anasethic.
My friend did not choose to have her wrist sewn without anasethtic.
Not that all a&e staff choose to treat sh paitents the same but those who are cruel and maybe expect to not have them come back are wrong.I was back unfortunatly that week.
Being treated cruelly does not stop sh.
Wendy x

Last edited:
D

Devon

I'd say this certainly comes close to assault. If they refuse to use pain relief and you withdraw consent then it is most definitely assault.
(Common Assault, Criminal Justice Act)

It would definitely be sufficient grounds to bring the health professional up in front of their professional body for bringing the profession into disrepute by failing to meet the standards reasonably expected of a competent practitioner.

Wendy

Wendy

Hey,Devon
Thanks for your advice,I would of made a complaint or something but felt so guilty for what I'd done,that I didn't say anything.
This all happened a while ago,so now I can do f-all but thankyou.
Wendy x