• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Cymbalta and Fluxoetine, terrible side effects, PLS HELP

purplehaze420

purplehaze420

Hi everyone!

I have been struggling to find the right medication for me, it seems the ones I have taken have given me skewed effects.

Earlier this year after an attempted overdose and stay in the hospital, I was put on Cymbalta along with Buspar and Trazadone. Although the doctor never officially gave me a diagnosis I assumed it was depression and anxiety after researching the medications and seeing what they are usually used to treat.

I did not enjoy taking these meds one bit. While in the hospital and all on three, I felt like a loopy zombie.

After my stay, I was instructed to continue with the Buspar and Cymbalta and the Trazadone was more for sleep. My mom took control of my pills and decided she only wanted me to take Cymbalta because she felt the other two unnecessary. Why she would do that? I have no freaking clue. Her lack of support for me and my journey with mental health is a whole other story within itself.

I did not mind at the time because I did not like the effects of all three medications together. But I don't know if me stopping the other two had something to do with my reaction to the Cymbalta.

Taking Cymbalta did me no good. I was still depressed with negative thoughts, I could not sleep and felt restless, I was angry and irritated all the time, and my impulsiveness skyrocketed. Everything just felt so fast pace if that makes sense, from the way I acted to my thoughts and the way I talked and interacted with others. To others I looked elated and as if I was getting better but inside I was so confused and overwhelmed.

Last year, my doctor put me on Fluxoetine for depression and it had almost the exact same affect on me. I was able to get through 2 months of it but I had to ween myself off because of the way it was making me feel.

My therapist tells me it is imperative I see a psychiatrist soon so I can work on getting proper medication and diagnosis. But I honestly hate the idea of taking meds again, both my experiences with them have just been terrible. But my T tells me the best combination for me to start really healing is therapy + meds since I did actually try to overdose. She also said its possible I have not been on the meds long enough to get the desired effects. But being on them just did not feel right. The affect on me that I mentioned above was almost instant and within a few weeks of taking both medications I felt that way.

I just want to know if anyone else has taken these medications and felt the same or similar? And if so, what ended up happening with your situation?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
They need to be take for 6 weeks minimum. I would personally say 3 months. Side effects are bad in the first couple of weeks sometimes, and then go away.

I have been on tons of different ones and sometimes, the ones with the worst initially side effects, turn out to be the best long term.

One medication to start i would think is best. One at a low dose, to test and see how you feel. You need to be in control of the process, the increase or waiting it out. I go very slowly when i make changes. More than one, and you don't know what is doing what. We need to feel every episode, every increase, and test how we feel on it and if we like it.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Trazadone made me a zombie, fluxotine is an ssri which i am def in favour off. Ssris have helped me im conjunction with maois and and psych xx

purplehaze420

purplehaze420

They need to be take for 6 weeks minimum. I would personally say 3 months. Side effects are bad in the first couple of weeks sometimes, and then go away.

I have been on tons of different ones and sometimes, the ones with the worst initially side effects, turn out to be the best long term.

One medication to start i would think is best. One at a low dose, to test and see how you feel. You need to be in control of the process, the increase or waiting it out. I go very slowly when i make changes. More than one, and you don't know what is doing what. We need to feel every episode, every increase, and test how we feel on it and if we like it.
Im setting up an appointment with a psychiatrist so Im going to work with them on that because the doses I were previously on were pretty high and I was put on so many at a time.

Thank you for your reply it definitely helped clear up my confusion. I gotta have patience and get through that 3 month period to see if the side effects go away. The process of finding the right medication feels very tedious at times 😓

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Im setting up an appointment with a psychiatrist so Im going to work with them on that because the doses I were previously on were pretty high and I was put on so many at a time.

Thank you for your reply it definitely helped clear up my confusion. I gotta have patience and get through that 3 month period to see if the side effects go away. The process of finding the right medication feels very tedious at times 😓
Def need a plan tailor made for you. We are all different. Hope you find some peace xx

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Def need a plan tailor made for you. We are all different. Hope you find some peace xx
I take citalopram ssri, mirtazopane maoi and propranalop beta blockers. And they seem to work well

purplehaze420

purplehaze420

Dont end up on anti psych unless you really need them xx
I honestly don't even know what type of medication I need. I never received a set diagnosis from the doctor at the hospital so I don't even know what I am working with.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I honestly don't even know what type of medication I need. I never received a set diagnosis from the doctor at the hospital so I don't even know what I am working with.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

You need a diagnosis first then take it from there. My docs experimented for years before geting me level

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I would say to the psychiatrist, one medication at a time please. I would say too, I would like the lowest dose and go from there, see how i feel.