• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Cyclothymia help!

B

Bigmouth_Strikes_Again

On monday a psychiatrist told me i don't have bipolar, but what i do have is cyclothymia.. I'm no psychiatrist but i thought cyclothymia was a mild form of bipolar?? I was told i'm not ill, that i don't need to see a psychiatrist again, and i don't need any treatment. So basically i've been dismissed from all mental health help AGAIN.

I'm so confused? My mood swings change a few times a day.. i can be crying all morning, then cheerful at lunch and crying again by the evening. I never have more than a day or two with consistant mood. I know that i'm not seriously ill but this does affect my daily life, so i'd expect some kind of help.

What do i do now? :confused:

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

If you are still feeling unwell I think you should go back to your GP. Explain to them how it affects your life and that you really need some help/support.

dib4uk

dib4uk

On monday a psychiatrist told me i don't have bipolar, but what i do have is cyclothymia.. I'm no psychiatrist but i thought cyclothymia was a mild form of bipolar?? I was told i'm not ill, that i don't need to see a psychiatrist again, and i don't need any treatment. So basically i've been dismissed from all mental health help AGAIN.

I'm so confused? My mood swings change a few times a day.. i can be crying all morning, then cheerful at lunch and crying again by the evening. I never have more than a day or two with consistant mood. I know that i'm not seriously ill but this does affect my daily life, so i'd expect some kind of help.

What do i do now? :confused:
What? seriously? they dismissed you? I would've thought that they would only dismiss you when your stable and have reached the right medicine for you. I have cylcothymia and i'm seing a psych. Yes it is a form of bipola, but i would hate to use the term "mild" as the professionals do.

Go back and speak to your doctor!!!! Good luck x

:)

F

flamehairedlunatic

Cyclothymia is where a person suffers mood swings that are not severe enough to be classified as bipolar 1 or 2. They often change mood far more quickly than someone with bipolar 1 or 2.

It is however, on the bipolar spectrum so you should be getting help. Go back to your GP and ask to be referred to the mental health team so at least they can give you some support, you shouldn't be coping alone with this one.