• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Cyclothymia Diagnosis.

D

daphnemoon

Hi there,

I've a fairly new diagnosis of Cyclothymia and I'm feeling lonely, although I have a strong support network I feel very alone.

I don't know quite where to turn when I have the panic and anxiety as well as the pain and self harm desires. My friends and family try to help but they don't understand how I feel inside.

I'm single at the moment, although I have met a man I really like, the problem is I become obsessed so easy, I'm fighting liking him too much already as I don't know if he has any feelings for me.

Is it normal to have little, or in fact, no self esteam at all?

Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Daphne

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hi there,

I've a fairly new diagnosis of Cyclothymia and I'm feeling lonely, although I have a strong support network I feel very alone.

I don't know quite where to turn when I have the panic and anxiety as well as the pain and self harm desires. My friends and family try to help but they don't understand how I feel inside.

I'm single at the moment, although I have met a man I really like, the problem is I become obsessed so easy, I'm fighting liking him too much already as I don't know if he has any feelings for me.

Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Daphne
Daphne, I soo know what your feeling for i have periods where i feel the exact same things as you do. My friends and family dont really understand the conditions im suffereing from, but i do get some support from a support group. Its really hard isnt it when u first meet someone and you like them not to be carried away with the inital feelings, i suggest that untill you've found out either way that maybe you keep your feelings for this man to yourself or at least tell your friends how it is for you.

When i fall i fall hard and fast so i know exactly where your coming from, and i've been hurt badly in the past, and right now, i dont need to be hurt by either my own emotions or someone elses stuff.

Regarding the self harming urges, sometimes a person can only fight for so long before they are compelled or urged to do something to realease the energy or the pent up emotions.

A

Affective

Hi there,

I understand that feeling. Where your family/friends do their best, and I love them so much for it:). However unless you actually experience the episode it's very hard to grasp what it's like to go through such an ordeal. For your panic attacks, have you ever tried deep and controlled breathing? It helped me a lot when I had a panic attack. Along with listening to calm music and going to an environment where I felt safe and rested.
It's very common among people with mental illness. It takes time and hard work to build it up :)

D

daphnemoon

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, it helps to read that others have the same feelings and reactions without me having to explain!

Thanks Affective, I will try the breathing idea and pop some calm music onto my ipod so I can use it next time I have a panic attack.

Dip4uk, thank you for understanding and for letting me know that you too react the same as I seem to, it really helps to know I'm not alone.

I will keep fighting and taking the meds as these are helping too!

:)

A

Affective

Tme as I seem to, it really helps to know I'm not alone.

I will keep fighting and taking the meds as these are helping too!

:)
Congratulations, that's the attitude needed to over come it!

A

Affective

Hi again.

I did some research in to breathing exercises, they are similar to what I used to do in Panic Attacks.

Here you go :):
Breathing Methods

Rapid, deep breathing lowers your vitality, reduces your resistance to disease, and leads to an agitated state of mind.
You need to breathe better!

Your brain requires the right amounts of oxygen and carbon dioxide for clear thinking. Your muscles need it for vitality. And your digestive system needs it to utilise the food you eat and to get rid of waste products.

Our breathing mechanism is automatic and is based on past habits. Many of us develop bad breathing habits which result in an overall reduction in health.
Better breathing - your route to calmness

Altering your breathing instantly alters your mental, physical and emotional state!

For example sitting quietly and allowing your breathing to become calmer, slower and shallower can produce a calmer state within a few minutes.

So being able to alter your breathing - to temporarily move from 'automatic' to 'manual' control puts you more in the driving seat of your own emotions and the general rule is
bullet

Deep breathing tends to produce more agitation
bullet

Shallow and slow breathing produces calmness

Becoming skilled at changing your state through altering your breathing boosts your confidence in your state-management ability so that unwelcome moods become just that - unwelcome. Not fearful, or threatening, nor in some way indicative of personal weakness or inadequacy.

Having the breathing skills to alter such unwelcome moods puts you in charge of yourself.

Incidentally, while you can very quickly change your state using breathing methods you also need to change your thinking patterns to ensure that the change of state continues. If you only alter your breathing but continue with the same old thoughts the unwelcome moods will quickly return.

Read more: http://www.pe2000.com/breathe.htm#ixzz0nSvTaRDQ

D

daphnemoon

Thanks Affective

That is very helpful, thank you Affective, I have just tried it and yes it does help.

I will try to remember it when the anxiety hits!

A

Affective

That is very helpful, thank you Affective, I have just tried it and yes it does help.

I will try to remember it when the anxiety hits!
Glad it did(y)

I find it amazing when natural techniques are just as useful as Psychotropic drugs.

S

suki1066

thats a good post Affective, for everyone to learn to breath and to have some control is so helpfull, i do like the tips that come up on here. xx