• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

cyclothalmic or bi-polar whats the difference?

L

littlemermaid28

Been to the doctor who I see reglarly due to mental health problems and told her almost EVERYTHING although i didnt want to I had to so i can get some help...she has reffered me to a psychiatrist and she said she thinks i may have cyclothalmic disorder (think thats how u spell it!) or bi-polar...what is the difference?Also im going to start on some new meds when ive come off my citralpram but the meds for these conditions do they make u really drowsy or doped up and what will i be like?My older post is am i losing the plot?(or something like that!)Would just like to know of anyone elces experiences of either of these? :(

A

Apotheosis

It all seems so vague - I still can't work out what the difference is between schizophrenia & bi-polar?

S

skyblue

It's the severity of the mood swings.

Cyclothymic is a milder form of Bi-Polar, also a patient with this will not suffer from delusions and hallucinations, whereas with Bi-Polar people do.

L

littlemermaid28

what would you class as delusions?:redface:

Spaceman

Spaceman

Been to the doctor who I see reglarly due to mental health problems and told her almost EVERYTHING although i didnt want to I had to so i can get some help...she has reffered me to a psychiatrist and she said she thinks i may have cyclothalmic disorder (think thats how u spell it!) or bi-polar...what is the difference?Also im going to start on some new meds when ive come off my citralpram but the meds for these conditions do they make u really drowsy or doped up and what will i be like?My older post is am i losing the plot?(or something like that!)Would just like to know of anyone elces experiences of either of these? :(
I can only give you my experience, I have ups and downs and they can flip from one to the other very quickly. I can be on a high, full of energy feeling great, singing and dancing being stupid and then for no apparent reason hit a low and not want to be here anymore, at its extreme. I am in the process of being asessed and have been referrred for a second opinion, they have talked about BP but I do not have the delusional thoughts that I am invinsible, impulsive buying etc, fortunately.

It was described to me that if you have a scale from 1 - 10 Bi Polar will go to the extremes of the scales where Cyclothamia will go from 3 - 7.

This is my understanding but please don't take this as gospel it is how I understood what was expalined to me.

I am on a high and have been since Sunday, the longest high for a long time and whilst I know it is not normal I am determined to enjoy it.

I will look with interest to what others say as it is a subject relevant to me

Thanks and best wishes

Spaceman:clap:(y):)

S

skyblue

Delusions are extreme false beliefs or ideas.

e.g believing you are somebody that you are not, like The Messiah, Cleopatra or the President.

Delusions can be very disturbing, without going into too much detail I suffered from delusions and hallunications about 4yrs ago when I was first hospitalised. It was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me.

I don't know whether or not you remember an American girl called Billie Joe who was kidnapped and murdered sometime ago ? Well,.. I thought I was her and I believed I was kidnapped by gangs who dressed up, but were actually the hospital staff. I believed I was 16yrs old, infact I was 30yrs old at the time and the gangs had kept me in hiding since I was 6yrs. It was very frightening, so frightening I don't even like to talk about it now.

Last edited:
R

rasselas

Cyclothalmic is, in my opinion, the best conceived neologism in the DSM-IV - and I hope when DSM-V comes out it will have even more new gems.

Cyclothalmic suggests a cyclone in the thalamus that itself suggests bursts of vivid colour and ideas in the main-brain.

Bipolar, while a fashionable label, is hackneyed and has never settled as well as 'manic depression'. It suggests two polar bears in an oppositional stance. A black polar bar versus a white polar bear in the neurological version of kung fu panda.

Bipolar, bipartisan, biannual, biped, bisexual, bye polar ice-caps.

- Hi, I'm Bipolar I Disorder in Partial Remission.
- Hi, I'm Bipolar I Disorder Severe with Psychotic Features. Only last month I was Bipolar I Disorder with Seasonal Pattern and all last summer Bipolar I Disorder With Catatonic Features.
- That would explain why I kept hearing you in my loft.

Schizophrenia (scream!) and Bipolar (scream!) afflicted people may often appear indistinguishable; although typically bipolar people are more gregarious. No rules in psychiatry are strict rules as no diagnosis has been any more than generally described.

If you are willing to read a summary of the DSM's complicated criteria, try here.

http://www.mental-health-today.com/bp/bi1.htm

Or, in a nutshell, snap this off for a broody chew:

In Cyclothymic Disorder, there are numerous periods of hypomanic symptoms that do not meet criteria for a Manic Episode and periods of depressive symptoms that do not meet symptom or duration criteria for a Major Depressive Episode.

dib4uk

dib4uk

hello:D,

to the original poster, cyclothymia is counted towards bipola spectrum but is "considered" to be lesser form. However as I suffer from this and I can tell you that I have ups and downs with mixed episodes which dont last that long but the intense feelings are most defentaly there.

Another way of explaining it is that Cylothymia is the baby sister/brother to bipola one and two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclothymia

Hope that website/link helps.:D

R

rasselas

Ive learnt that Cyclothymic Disorder will be renamed Bipolar Type III in the brand new DSM-V.

At least then I think people with this diagnosis will be taken more seriously.

On that note - one of the classic questions or criteria for bipolar is reckless spending. i dont see that as a valid indicator of disease - although it could be part of the wider affluenza outbreak before the walls came tumbling down.

not everyone is materialistic. so not everyone will go on wild spending sprees when they get high. ive seen people doubted because they havent got huge debts and multiple credit card overload. but then - psychosis and schizophrenia and bipolar and depression are 'acted out' according to the values and rituals of the culture.

i wonder what happens when those forest people with the naked backsides in the amazon get high? maybe they hit the river and head for the nearest mega-mart 1000s of miles away...

dib4uk

dib4uk

Well thats great news to know that cyclothymia will be labelled in the new DSMV as biploa 3. :clap:

Thanks for the information Mark !:cool:

Regarding over spending, boy when I was hyper I over spend on my overdraft and i was thinking at the time things would be ok, i just maxed out my overdraft by paying for other bills and at the time i was going through a difficult time i was in a crises and all i was thinking about was paying for my bills and not spending so much.

But I do agree with you that over spending unless its on silly little things can not or should not be one of the diagnoses critieria for biploa- especially in this climate where everyone is either in debt or they know someone who is in debt.

R

rasselas

Yes, it is excellent news that I agree. The DSM is a work in progress. In an ideal world we wouldnt have psychiatric labelling - but in the real world getting recognition for your troubles shouldnt itself be a hurdle.

To be honest, in terms of spending, I do huff and puff around that subject sometimes because I've been hand-to-mouth for so long and can't get credit! There's definitely an element of sour grapes, which I must put back from my basket, as I need the shampoo...:)

G

grahamm

I think cyclothymia is a mood disorder chronic from bith or childhood, some may develop latter. You may be well for short intevals, and symptoms are often so mild you are not aware there is a problem. It is a mild form of bipolar 2. It is to bipolar what dysthymia is to major depression (though dysthymia is now considered a bipolar disorder by some doctors). The hypomania is often attenuated in form. Frequently the symptoms are subsyndronal. Though the symptoms are mild they get have a bigger impact on someones life than more severe intermitent disorders.

B

BP2

And there was I thinking BP 3 was reserved for those individuals who only experience (hypo-)manic episodes induced by anti-depressants ....

A

Allyke

My GP thinks I might have cyclothymia but I've not been formally diagnosed yet and I'm also confused about the definition. I seem to suffer mostly from depression with occasional brief moments of (possible) hypomania...but my GP says that periods of irritability and anger that is difficult to control are also symptoms of hypomania, which I get a lot...is this the case for a lot of people??
Thank you for raising this discussion, it's really helpful. I hope you're all ok xx

B

BP2

Allyke - my pdoc seems to use the terms cyclothymia and Bi-polar 2 as if they were the same. Certainly, my irritability and anger are interpreted as hypo-mania. I can certainly detect brief spells of hypomania break through the clouds of depression.