• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

curious about other people's experiences with lamictal?

libbycrossings

libbycrossings

i have bipolar 2 and i started taking lamictal about 5 months ago and i feel like i just feel worse but i do notice i have less hypomanic episodes according to my family but personally i would take a hypomanic episode over this bad of a depressive episode because these depressive periods are lasting months without any change in how low i feel and i'm having a lot of suicidal thoughts. i'm also afraid to just stop taking it because last time i did for around 3 days i had an intense reaction. i got really angry (and i don't usually experience manic rage ever) and had a really bad panic attack for no reason. i'm not going to do anything without talking to my doctor first but i am just curious to hear other people's experiences with it as well, negative or positive, it doesn't matter.

A

aisha23

welcome to the forum.

it is nice to meet you

hope it helps being here

jb5784

jb5784

I stopped taking it for three weeks and had terrible side effects. It felt like the room was always spinning, I was hypomanic, and could see things other people could not. I got back on it and haven't had any problems since.

N

Notalwaysever

I took it a long time ago but I remember it making me get very angry over nothing. Apparently that is not a normal reaction to it but that was my experience.

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

I'm on lamictal (lamotrigne) and have been for over 8 years. It stopped the manic episodes, but I am far more a depressive bi polar. The docs wanted me to come off it as I'm also on Lithium, but when I tried my head was out of control, I couldn't think straight. I ended up drinking (at the time I had been 4 years sober, after being a very active alcoholic). It was only one blip, but the docs were quick to let me go back to my old dose.

limbo_grrrl

limbo_grrrl

I've been taking Lamictal for a year and it has both pros and cons. My mania finally calmed down and didn't show up too often. My hair didn't fall out like it does from lithium.
But the depressive episodes got worse. I have a lot of suicidel thoughts and attempts. I have to take an increased dose of antidepressants to somehow normalize my condition. In the beginning, my prolactin levels increased because of the dopamine blocker. TW: lactation. Often there are such as if milk discharge. I also have pimples, but these are small things.
As jb5784 has already written, there are moments when the room is spinning. I feel like the floor is wobbling and I can't sleep for a long time. TW: vomiting. This is physically bad and can lead to vomiting.
I didn't want to scare you. Because all these pills have a lot of side effects. But we have to choose the best from the worst. I hope you will be better and already find your useful meds.

U

Unique star 82

Hii, I've been taking it for 6 months now. it's working well for me now. To begin with I went to high but as I was reducing I got to a point were I realised actually this is working quite well for me right now

JessisMe

JessisMe

I'm on lamictal (lamotrigne) and have been for over 8 years. It stopped the manic episodes, but I am far more a depressive bi polar. The docs wanted me to come off it as I'm also on Lithium, but when I tried my head was out of control, I couldn't think straight. I ended up drinking (at the time I had been 4 years sober, after being a very active alcoholic). It was only one blip, but the docs were quick to let me go back to my old dose.
I’m on Lamictal and Lithium too. So far, so good...

E

Earl J

Hi, I’m on Lamictal for about 6yrs with no problems, but my psych also prescribed Citalopram and Quetiapine. My dosage is Lamicatal 200mg daily (100mg morn,100mg night) Citalopram 40mg daily (morning)and Quetiapine 75mg at night. My phsyc said the Lamictal will keep me level that’s why the dose is spread night and day, the Citalopram will lift my depression by raising my seratonin levels but I will tweak that down to 30mg for the summer because I will get seratonin from the sunshine and the longer days then I’ll go back up to 40mg in the Autum. The Quetiapine helps me sleep and also lifts my depression. I spent 6 years numb on Effexor XL after being wrongly diagnosed as Clinically Depressed but a different psych and a new correct diagnosis (bipolar 2) and a new prescription and I have never felt better. I’m not saying this prescription will work for you but it would be no harm to mention it to your psych, it’s not good that you are so low all the time. I think psychiatrists should prescribe more new antidepressants instead of just throwing the old reliables at everything. It’s an awful thing to say but our life is in the hands of the RIGHT psychiatrist and I hope that everyone on this forum is lucky enough to meet the RIGHT one. I don’t think anyone should settle for what a GP doctor prescribes, it’s all in the name “GP“ means General Practicioner, we cant accept someone that has a general experience with psychiatry we must have someone that is a sole practitioner of Psychiatry.

C

Ceterisum

The "right" psychiatrist is not always easy to find...
Can someone tell me if this medication can be taken only when needed (not daily) for stress and anger due to stress? Or it doesn't work like this?
Is it good for stress and anxiety?

N

Nina998

For me Lamictal caused itchy head and I lost half of my hair so I switched to Lithium. I didn't use Lamictal that long I could tell how it affected my mood.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Lamictal improved my mood almost instantly without causing any side-effects.

E

Earl J

Sorry but antidepressants don’t work as a take it when you need it drug. They take from 2 to 4 weeks and sometimes longer. Believe me I remember hanging on to life by my fingernails as I waited for the drugs to kick in, it was the scariest time of my life.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Bipolar Forum 2