• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

cure for PDs

wife

wife

Founding Member
what do you think, can they be cured or can you only make your life better or are you stuck with your PD for the rest of foreverness?

I personally feel that I can be cured to the point that my disordered personality won't rule everything I do and feel - I've been at a therapeutic community for about 10 months now and feel that it has helped no end, however I think that because these things I do are part of my personality and part of, essentially, who I am, I will always be prone to slipping back to my old ways

So what do you reckon?

Jay

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
hi there wife,:welcome:

I think it would depend on how your PD affected you and in what way. Although im not classed as having PD when im in a manic phase i behave totally differently to the quiet introvert that i am. I must admit that i did find group therapy helpful, but it took a long time b4 i would open up. On my first session i could not beleive the things that people were admitting to. But after about 6 sessions i started to open up when i realised i wasnt quite as peculiar as i thought.

We all have little oddities in our personality, but that not to say were crazy. I have always loved playing imaginary games and making stories up with my kids, and i do the same now with my grandaughter, but when my now adult daughter was telling her collegues some of the silly tales i told her, they thought it was very odd.

So yes i do think you can help PD but it depends on how severe it is and who else it affects.

Erme

Erme

Founding Member
Do I know you Wife? hugs.....

I don't know about the PD thing. I think you mature with age (my psychotherapist told me a lot of PD's grow out of them) but unfortunately age has brought psychosis on for me. I think in 10 years time life will be a lot more comfortable for you and you'll be happier in your own skin. I certainly am.

Erme

Erme

Erme

Founding Member
Well I'm making me morning meds of proper coffee as we speak :). I feel a bit down this am so I think something stronger than 2 tsps of kenco is required :tea:!!!

How is therapy going and hubby and stuff? I was on bebo this am (about 5.30am) :eek:. I'm getting less into bebo at the moment but like I haven't deleted my page like I did when psychotic in the summer. If the christians want to ignore me and not add me, let them. Their loss! Anyhow I have a few pals on bebo whom I message quite often. I'm happy with that :).

Blessings.

Erme

class1

class1

Founding Member
Hello Wife,

I'm not sure whether a pd can be cured, I have known about my problems for over 30 years, and been receiving treatment for the last 14, and, whilst I have never been near to a cure, I have learnt (most likely because of age and 'knowing myself' better), how to spot the signs, and exert control over it.

I think you can learn how to control a personality disorder, but never to get cured from one - unless of course you have some accident and it alters your personality :)

I have the control down to a fine art now after years of practice :LOL: as well as being able spot the signs and prevent me drifting off into a mood, I can kind of play with my thoughts and feelings, gosh that makes me sound worse than I am :tea:

Erme

Erme

Founding Member
Haven't heard from you for a few days Wife. You okay?

Hugs

Erme

Brimble

Brimble

Founding Member
How to get used to your PD?

Hi All

Don't know if I have a PD for sure but certainly must have something wrong, as I am terrified most of the time. I have a sort of social avoidance disorder! Yet I am considered very friendly and am in customer service so I can't be as socially inept as I feel!! I joke but sometimes the fear of social interaction pushes me to contemplate ending it all to stop the pain and panic attacks.

Just as I sink to the lowest depths of depression someone nice, usually my GP, will reassure me that there is hope and I will get better. So we can expect good and bad days as we try to come to terms with mental illness?

Our society functions on confidence and for all of us lacking in it things can be hard. Just looking through this site assures me that we can overcome!!

MeJustMe

MeJustMe

I've been diagnosed with avoidant PD. There doesn't seem to be a forum for it, so I'm posting it here. Does anyone else suffer from this? I understand that it's kind of rare.

Last edited by a moderator: