• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Curcumin - Every day or only when needed?

B

BanjoBiker

I've had bouts of mild depression over the last 12 years. After many alternative therapies of varying success, I tried medication in 2012. Fluoxetine was very effective initially but stopped working after a year. My doctor switched me to Sertraline with limited success.
I read about Curcumin last month. I've stopped taking Sertraline and started taking Curcumin instead. The side effects of Sertraline stopped immediately.
My question relates to ongoing use of Curcumin. I'm feeling great right now - but I think that this is because my bout has ended naturally after 5 months. Is it wise to keep taking Curcumin when feeling good - or keep it in reserve for when feeling depressed?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hiya,
I don't know what the research says, but I would continue to use it daily - otherwise it'll eventually leave your system and you'll be back to square one.
Of course, people may disagree with that or be able to give you a more informed answer. Perhaps someone else might reply to this.
Anyway, just wanted to say i'm glad that at the moment you are feeling good.

T

Topcat

I would just keep taking it, it has so many health benefits it could be helping in lots of different ways.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I read in this book on supplements and mood, The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, that after you have been taking the supplements for a while the brain chemistry gets back to normal and you don't need to continue taking the supplements, but should have some on standby in case you start feeling crap again. I don't think she mentioned Curcumin though. And she did say you need to continue to eat healthy food to maintain the changes.

T

Topcat

Did you know... The right levels of curcumin combined with genistein resolve the symptoms of cystic fibrosis in patients with certain mutations, just as effectively as a drug recently produced called Kalydeco.
Clever :)
Curcumin is also good for digestion, inflammation, and is apparently 'anti cancer'

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I got some for my knee as it's anti-inflammatory and I can't take NSAIDs. But I haven't started taking it yet as I also started Magnesium Threonate for cognitive function and if I start both at the same time I won't know which one is working.

B

BanjoBiker

Response from my GP

My doctor was pleased that I felt good enough to stop taking Sertraline. She hadn't heard of Curcumin trials and intended to look it up.
On a general note of caution, she said that too much use of supplements can mess around with the body's enzymes.
So, I'm stopping the Curcumin for now - keeping it in reserve for the next inevitable bout. And I'm asking the wife for lots of dishes containing Turmeric. Win win I reckon.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Surely your body will build a tolrance to it with using lots?
I cant say its something ive ever cooked with unless its in curry paste? I cheat :redface: