• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Culture

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
There is a VERY active mental health cultural scene in Birmingham.

I am not really involved in much of this and when I am it is as an observer not a participant (I have the creative talents of a block of wood :)) but the enthusiasm of the people involved with this side of things is inspirational.

The main contact number for anyone interested is 678 2700/2702 but I will try and do different posts or new threads as events come to my attention.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Culture Vultures

Culture Vultures is a group for people who are interested in visiting arts events but may feel they have problems going by themselves because they are intimidated/shy/overwhelmed - it's a brilliant idea in my view.

Anyway among their upcoming events are....

Thursday 3rd April : Brew with a View - ' a cuppa, company and culture at this monthly social'. Meet outside Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (BMAG) from 11.00 to 11.15, or meet up in the BMAG café from 11.15 onwards.

Thursday 10th April: Thinktank Visit. Meet at 11.00 at entrance to Moor Street Station.

Thursday 1st May: Brew with a View (same as above).

Monday 12th May: Barber Institute Visit. 1.00 at Barber Institute main entrance.

If you want to go on the Thinktank or Barber visits you need to book (678 2702) but for the monthly meetings just turn up.

I am not sure which of these I can make but if I do plan to go will try to post here.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Arts All Over The Place

This will probably get a separate thread later but for now some advance notice that the 'summer celebration of the arts in mental health' will take place from 7th June to 10th July. The launch event will be at the Crescent Theatre on 7th June.

Nick.

M

Michael

Founding Member
I note the times and days etc, they are the same in my own particular area which means that to go them I would have to take time off work.
I am sure there must be los of people like myself who would have a valid input and achieve some personal goals as well, but the times, ell nuff said!

Michael

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I note the times and days etc, they are the same in my own particular area which means that to go them I would have to take time off work.
I am sure there must be los of people like myself who would have a valid input and achieve some personal goals as well, but the times, ell nuff said!
Michael
Its a very good point Michael and doesn't just apply to cultural events. Nearly all the events/meetings I have listed or talked about so far happen in weekday time and so exclude most people with a normal working week. I am not sure that there is any easy solution to this as many of participants in the meetings are either attending during their own working time or would be very reluctant to attend evening meetings.

It is a good topic to raise for discussion.

Some of the Arts All Over the Place events are (like the Crescent Theatre launch) at weekends though.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I keep getting lots of announcements/emails about cultural events and there is no way I could report them all here. If anyone is interested do get in touch though - there is a ton of stuff out there.

Nick.