Cultivating a warm hearted attitude towards everyone

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
It is tiring and miserable to view people in a hostile manner all the time.

I am thinking it is better to cultivate compassion for everyone.

I do believe everyone has goodness in them.

Don't you find that when you meet someone who is warm hearted - you really love their company.

It is a tough one, but perhaps it comes with practice.

What do you think?

Deadheading

Deadheading

I'm not interested in warming up to everyone, so I'm not ready to change. As far as I can tell, the whole world deserves my hostility.

Kerome

Kerome

Thich Nhat Hanh, a famous Buddhist teacher, holds that we are all connected, all one at a very real level, and that therefore it makes no sense to do otherwise than be warm towards everyone we meet. I pretty much agree with him, so I try make it so.

The other thing the Buddhists say is that everyone suffers, and that you should be compassionate towards everyone for that reason. It’s hard to know other people’s suffering, it does not always show on the outside.

L

LikeMinds

I agree with you, Bert. Thanks for saying so. I know I do feel better inside when I practice this. But I often find it hard as h*ll to do. Maybe someday I will become more consistent and frequent at it...

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Thich Nhat Hanh, a famous Buddhist teacher, holds that we are all connected, all one at a very real level, and that therefore it makes no sense to do otherwise than be warm towards everyone we meet. I pretty much agree with him, so I try make it so.

The other thing the Buddhists say is that everyone suffers, and that you should be compassionate towards everyone for that reason. It’s hard to know other people’s suffering, it does not always show on the outside.
Two good points there Kerome. Definitely from my readings of spirituality, we are all connected at a deep level. In the spirit world compassion abounds and does not discriminate in any way. Even those suffering on the lower realms evoke compassion from others. When it is time, they are rescued and join the others.

Yes I agree, everyone does suffer. It is easy to forget this.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I agree with you, Bert. Thanks for saying so. I know I do feel better inside when I practice this. But I often find it hard as h*ll to do. Maybe someday I will become more consistent and frequent at it...
Yes it can be hard to do. I think it requires practice and shift in attitude and behaviour. It can be difficult in the Western worlds where often we can view each other as rivals rathers than brethren.

L

LikeMinds

Yes, Bert, I tend to agree. We are often so separated from one another by our competitive environment. I can't tell you about my weaknesses because you'll think less of me... I can't let you know that I hurt because you may take advantage of me... I can't be vulnerable with you because it might give you the edge to get ahead of me...

In my mind, Thich Nhat Hanh, and Buddhist teachings in general, provide a valuable (and helpful to me) correction for the hard edges of Western culture.

By the way, I like the picture of the motorcycle. What kind is it? Looks like, maybe an 11,000cc or so? :)

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Yes you sum it up well LikeMinds.

It's a Harley Davidson V-muscle. It is just there to remind me of a reward if I can recover.