Cto legal advice

J

Jpage

Hi everyone, glad to join you all in the group. I was put on a cto by my psychiatrist and that's what they are planning to do when I leave hospital. Is appealing my cto the only thing legally I can do to get rid of it? They say it's my noncompliance which makes them give me a cto and my risk of danger to others if I don't take meds. What if they keep renewing it and is it legally sound for them to keep renewing it for the rest of my life? What do I do if they do keep renewing it? What legally can I do? Thank you guys if you can give me some input about this what legally I can do?

exyz

exyz

Hello Jpage
I'm sorry it has taken a while to get a reply.:welcome:

CTO's as you know, are complicated and usually you are put on one due to a form of being sectioned in the first place. They are only supposed to last six months and your pdoc can attach conditions to it. ( Like taking your meds as you mention in your post.)

However if you don't keep to the conditions then you can be recalled to hospital. You can appeal to a Mental Health Tribunal and are entitled to an advocate to represent your case. Worst scenario is yes they can keep you in hospital if you don't comply with the conditions of the CTO and they think you are a danger.

You need an advocate. You should really have been advised of your right to one if you are minded to challenge the CTO at Tribunal.

MIND the charity have some good info here if you click on the link.
Community treatment orders (CTOs) | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

All good wishes:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Legal Issues 1