• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Crisis (tw:suicidal ideation)

D

Dinaaa

Hi,
So I'm only 18 but have been struggling with my mental health from quite a young age which included suicidal ideation. However I never attempted to take my life because of not wanting to hurt my family but lately I've convinced myself they'd be better off without me. I've thought of plans to end my life, wrote a goodbye note and considered actually going through with it. I think a small part of me clings on to some hope that things could be better though because I've considered telling my therapist of these thoughts instead of acting on them. I think it's one or the other. However I have no idea what will happen if I do tell my therapist which worries me. If it turns out to be an unhelpful experiences then it'll push me over the edge. I was just hoping to see if any could tell me the protocol in these situations? I'm in the UK and am over 18. What would happen happen if I told them about these feelings? Would my parents be contacted or would that not be allowed with my age? Thanks in advance, I'm terrified right now and don't know where to turn too.

pepecat

pepecat

If you're over 18 and in adult services then they can't contact your parents, as far as I know.
They might contact your next of kin if you needed sectioning, so if your parents are your next of kin, then they would know but otherwise they don't contact them.

What happens kinds depends on what you tell your therapist, in a way. I'd say it was better to be honest about how you feel, because then he or she will have the full picture and be able to help you better. A therapist will only break confidentiality if they think you're a danger to yourself or others, but breaking that wouldn't necessarily mean contacting your parents. It could be referring you to a psychiatrist, or contacting the crisis team to help you out - somehting like that. And you , as an adult, can presumably say that you don't want your parents to be contacted, if that's the case.

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

Your therapist could say they can no loner see you. Your GP will almost certainly be contacted too.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you dont let anyone know how youre feeling they cant help you accordingly :( àre your pareñts aware of your mental health issues? Are they a support or do they worsen things?

Agatha

Agatha

I have told many therapists of thoughts of suicide but added that I wouldn't do it for the reasons I had. I've never heard of a therapist saying they wouldn't see you any more because of suicidal feelings; they are there to help you get past those feelings that many of us have. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There are always ways to help you get past these feelings. I'm sorry you have those feelings and I know how uncomfortable they are. I gave up those feelings because I have a pet family to care for. Our family members would be devastated if we acted on those feelings.

D

Dinaaa

Thank you, I think I'm going to try and be as honest as I can in my next session. My parents are aware of my mental health problems but them knowing the extent of then would not be helpful for me.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Good luck on your next visit! I know how hard it is to open up. :)

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

It has happened to me twice. Declaring suicidal thoughts got me transferred back to the mental health team as not stable enough for therapy. I also have seen a private therapist for initial assessment who said she was unable to start therapy whilst i was having suicidal ideations. I have also been discharged due to alcohol abuse.

Agatha

Agatha

Thank you, I think I'm going to try and be as honest as I can in my next session. My parents are aware of my mental health problems but them knowing the extent of then would not be helpful for me.
Best wishes to you.

Y

yoyogirl

Firstly as you are eighteen and over they would never contact your parents, however if you are expressing suicidal ideation then our therapist has every right to inform your community mental health team, crisis or htt. Then your GP will be contacted but it would be depend a variety of factors for example lethality of plans, past attempts.