• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Crisis Team

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Have been referred to them but so wary about what "professionals" do. What do these teams do?
M

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Any further word from the crisis team, Marchhare?
Not really, and I am sure there are others on the forum who are better equiped to give advice, sorry.
M

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
OK, no worries. I’ll ask around. It was something Bristol-specific.

Keep us informed as to how you are doing, particularly with regard to the crisis team, and keep a cool head: there’s plenty of support on the forums if you need it.

One of your posts triggered a Proustian memory from ages ago (like Proust and his Madeleine cakes): long story.

Not that Proust is the best author for people on this forum to read. Perhaps P.G. Wodehouse or Douglas Adams...

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
I'm in a rural area not in Bristol. Its up to me to contact the crisis team but if your having a crisis its the last thing I would think of doing especially as they sometimes have an answer phone operating!!
m

P

Prasada

..and now, talking of things French, on a more cheerful note, here’s me in a dress, winning the 1973 Eurovision Song Contest:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4OX96fLLjs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4OX96fLLjs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Those policemen’s hands went everywhere. What a night!

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
please don't atleast not on my behalf
m

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Marchhare

I have had to use the crisis team in my area alot of times in the last few years although not so much recently admittedly.

They are usually comprised of people that have had some dealings/experience of mental health and can be used for a variety of reasons. I called them when I felt suicidal and they have also come out to my house when I have needed to eat under supervision to help prevent me from having to go to hospital before my wedding.

Often when you call them they will come to your house to assess you, and depending on that assessment will come to see you once/twice/three times a day if you need it. Generally they are there for crisis prevention or just to lend an ear if you need to talk. As with all MH services some are better than others and if you get on well with one person in particular you may be able to specifically request them to come see you if and when they are on duty. However it is worth bearing in mind that if you think they are better than others, then others may think that too and also request them, which may mean that they can not come over quite when you want them to as they are in demand!

It is best to remember that crisis teams are usually there to prevent you from going into hospital, to provide you with care and support that other over-stretched MH services may not be able to provide. IMO they are nothing to be scared of. In my experience they have been most helpful (even though attimes annoying!). If you are feeling desperate and in need of their help then please don't be put off by a voicemail, just let them know who you are, where you are and I'm sure when they are back on duty they will get back to you. My crisis team were instrumental in my recovery and helped prevent me having to go into hospital many a time. I hope you find your crisis team helpful too. :)

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Thanks for your reply Sapphire. I had to ring at the weekend and they were VERY good and kind.
m

P

Prasada

I wonder if it would not be better if the Crisis Team called itself something else, even if it’s the Crisis Prevention Team, as part of their mission is to keep people out of hospital.

I suspect that suddenly hearing from a “Crisis Team” out of the blue could alarm someone who has not heard of them, particularly if they are feeling vulnerable. It’s like fitting an ice cream van with a police/ambulance siren.

S

*Sapphire*

Most people don't hear from them out of the blue. Usually you are referred and/or have an assessment by them when you call them like Marchhare had to do, where they explain it all to you.