• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Crippling fear of interviews...

B

Beepeear

I suppose I have always been quite a shy, introverted person. During college I didn't really mind getting up in front of the class and giving a presentation, I was nervous but it wasn't like how I feel these days.

I have a weird, but very real fear of phone calls and job interviews. I have missed a lot of opportunities because I always end up cancelling the interview as I just can't seem to bring myself to attend. When I get a phone call I wait for it to end and then search the number to see who it is hoping that it wasn't an important one. I will do anything I can to not have to call, like search for an email, look for a live chat option etc.

When I get have an interview coming up in say 2 weeks time for example, I will be extremely anxious and nervous every day building up to it, it isn't like a nervous sensation it's more like a feeling of dread, I feel like I can't enjoy anything in between because I tell myself ''in a few days you have that interview''

I have no idea where to start. I have read countless self help books, watched dozens of podcasts trying to figure out how I just get past this hurdle. Like I said, a few years back I would happily present something in front of 25 people without hesitation, now I can't do a simple task like answering the phone.

Anyone experienced the same fear? If so, how did you over come it? Thank you all

zula77

zula77

I'm exactly the same. If there's something to worry about, I can't enjoy anything because I'll keep reminding myself 'you need to be worried about this thing' whatever it might be, it's mainly social things, including calls and interviews so I know how you feel...haven't managed to overcome it but working from home has helped, and medication, and putting the thing I'm worried about in perspective and trying to visualise positive outcomes...sorry I can't be more help but just know there are so many of us out there with the same fears :hug:

P

Purpleplum

Think of the worst case scenario: you won't get the job. You can move on from that

Look at the interview as just someone talking to you. Remember, YOU'RE assessing them as much as they're assessing you for the job. You need to see if THEY'RE right for YOU.

jajingna

jajingna

Is there anything you can do for the anxiety? Just to make it a bit less? I've tried some EFT tapping, guess that calms me a little. Sometimes I do a little focus on breathing too. And reassuring myself that I'm safe and things are OK.

C

CabbageMama

I am 41 and have had loads of interviews over the years. I still get very anxious and worried before them. Usually I don’t feel they have gone well, but I have mostly got the jobs, and if not, have had good feedback from the Interview. Try and remember the people that are interviewing you would most likely be in a state before their own. And possibly the best advice I have been given when in a situation like an interview, where I feel under pressure, is to imagine the person sat on the toilet. It does help you see them as less of a threat!