• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Creativity to help with mental illness

ht46

ht46

I would just like to make post sharing what I learned about making art since I became unwell. There are multiple benefits from being an artist which anyone can be such as:

A) Something productive and to look forward to when you wake up.
B) A distraction from your symptoms.
C) Building confidence in creating something of worth financially and self esteem.
D) Something to be passionate about.
E) Self expression.
And more.

Why you should not be afraid to make art:
The contemporary world is flooded with successful naive and artists who are terrible at drawing so don't let that put you off. And you don't have to enter that world if you don't want anyway.

Making art:
I started out with an interest in comics so I spent years studying anatomy and perspective but became more interested in the process of creating an artwork so I began looking at German expressionism and other movements.

1 Art can be a response to anything such as something personal, political etc anything.
2 If you look art history the majority of art was depicting religious works then, the world around us then the artist became more important and there was more personal expression in the way they depicted the world around us eg Ceazanne, the German expressionists and others. This opened the door for abstraction, then post modernism and now contemporary which means anything goes.
3 With German expressionism I can't remember the exact quote but it was pretty much saying that Expressionism was for anyone by whichever process and material they choose. This is the part I enjoy, you can work from sketch, a drawing from imagination, memory what you see, you could create a work in response to a work you created, experience, its freedom To think how you want to go by making it, subject matter and title of the work.

So if anyone finds that helpful or inspiring I hope so I'm glad if not that's fine.

Cheers

THE MANDALORIAN

THE MANDALORIAN

This is amazing. Art liberates me daily. I design and engineer future technologies.

So each day. I get to sit at my design studio being creative. Working on some cool stuff. I sketch all day untill I land on a man idea or concept. And head towards that direction.

This is very therapeutic.

ht46

ht46

This is amazing. Art liberates me daily. I design and engineer future technologies.

So each day. I get to sit at my design studio being creative. Working on some cool stuff. I sketch all day untill I land on a man idea or concept. And head towards that direction.

This is very therapeutic.
You're living the dream.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Schizophrenia Forum 3
S Schizophrenia Forum 5
GhostOfLenin Schizophrenia Forum 1
T Schizophrenia Forum 27
T Schizophrenia Forum 36