• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Creative Outlets

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I can only speak for myself, but I feel that if it weren't for my drawing, painting, sculpting, etc...I'd be in an institution for life or worse.

I'm working on a painting right now. It's such a wonderful way to express what "isn't allowed with words".

Does anyone else have a creative outlet that has helped them? It can be anything under the sun...as long as it helps in a positive way.

Please share. :flowers:

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I write music (guitar and piano) as well as poetry and songs.
I paint a little when I have time (which is seldom - but I am working on one at the moment). Doodling is good. Journalling can be very therapeutic. Creative writing generally. Music and art seem best because words do not have to be attached ...or even a conscious meaning (giving my over-analytical brain a rest).

The music has been a lifeline for me. I might have lived to tell the tale - then again I might not have. For me it is also a form of meditation and has been very valuable as a form of therapy. Likewise my journal writing here has allowed me to express some inner drama safely.....instead of allowing it to spill over into my 'real' life I gave myself permission to GO WILD in my journal. It did help a lot. Probably still does.

shaun3210

shaun3210

I found Psychodrama which I talked about briefly in my blog a couple of weeks ago a liberating outlet, which I had never experienced before, I feel now my creative side when I was younger was stifled by my own lack of self-belief and wanting to fit into what I considered some form of “social norm”

Hopefully when I feel stronger and more able to deal with people I will look to express myself more openly, by what method I'm not currently sure but feel it will need to include other people :)

D

Dollit

Sometimes I paint but not often these days. I do photomontage but I also take lots of photos and have quite a few contacts on the hosting site. Photography more than anything gets me through, not just taking a good photo but becoming so absorbed in what I'm doing I really do forget the considerable hassle that is my life.

M

Michael

Founding Member
Some areas in the UK do courses for people with forms of mental illness of creativity, I would have loved to go on one of these to have a 'taster' of the different things that are available. Unfortunately they are only held (here) during the owrking day which thereby excludes me.

I love to try and write
I love to play any of my musical instruments
I love to read
I would love to paint

ah well roll on retirement and then I may get the time and opportunity to do mor if not all of them

Michael

L

lonelyandlost

I use art and crafts to help me through the bad times. I love to draw, but my main passion is card making...

I have just been referred to art therapy, I am really dreading it though, but will give it a go before pushing it aside

D

Dollit

Art therapy can be really lovely. We have a great therapist in Bristol, very kind.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hello everyone!

I haven't been here in a while, and to those friends who remember me, a special hello to you guys!!!

When I saw Mrs P's thread I couldnt resist coming in, as it relates to my favourite subject: creativity.

I wanted to let you know about an outlet for creativity that I have recently discovered. It's not everybody's cup of tea but I invite everyone here at mental health forum to take a peek at a new world Ive been exploring.

My mate Apo knows about this already as I invited him to join me, and let me make clear now this is purely an invitation and absolutely NO PRESSURE to accept.

Let me introduce you to a very close friend of mine:

Irene Arkright.jpg

If I've got this right and you see a picture of a beautiful girl above, then this is Irene Arkright. She is my creation and is partly responsible for what has become a complete turnaround in my recovery in recent months.

She lives at Second Life. If you know about it, I'd like to hear from you. If not, I would still like to hear from you. Mrs P I am not trying to muscle into your thread but this seems the ideal place to talk about what I have learn't in terms of creative expression being fundamental on the road to recovery.

Irene is a photographer. She can build houses, takes classes in clothes design and has just put in an application to join a police force. She plans in the future to buy some land and create her own special secret garden, and hopes also to set up a place where people such as ourselves can meet in true virtual style, a place where we can express our creativity in the form of art exhibitions, photographic contests, poetry readings, music concerts etc...

Irene is happy, beautiful and an inspired artist. It feels kinda weird to say this but, she is me! I never thought I would see the day when I would say these things of me! An inspired artist! happy!

Now, to understand where Im coming from requires some imagination because yes, obviously Irene Arkright is, well just an avatar. But if any of you want to meet her in the 'cyberflesh' then I will willing let you know how.

I am unashamedly plugging Second Life, to those who havent come across it, it's a virtual world that surpasses all others. I speak so highly of it because I have found a place for my creative spirit to express what I need to express. Since discovering this world I have picked up my camera and taken some serious, kiss-ass picciess! Ive been composing music! Generally Ive been feeling a whole lot better about myself and I attribute a lot of this to Irene.

Apologies to anyone who thinks i am spamming. Second Life is a very exciting place and like all kids with new toys I wanna shout about it lol. You can create your own URL attached to second life, where you can keep a blog of your adventures there (and anything else you want to talk about). You create whatever form of avatar you desire, you can rent or own land, build your dream home, own a business....the list is endless. Second Life is free to join.

For any artist, it is a place where creative expression can be explored with literally no boundaries. I feel so positive with my experience there that I would like, in the future, to set up a virtual place similar to this. A place where we can go and meet, chat and dance, explore together, set up virtual home together! Perhaps aim to set up a place where people from all walks of life can come for some support and companionship.

I would seriously like to discuss the idea of setting up a Second Life home similar to this forum with anyone, including admin, who is interested.

Dollit I am especially keen to here your thoughts as I know you are a keen photographer, and an invaluable contributor to this forum.

Whaddaya think guys? Am I completely barking mad lol? Or do you think I might have something here?

If Mrs P doesn't mind we could discuss this here, or I will start a new thread if people think I should? Or please IM me and I can refer you.

With all my love
Ashami
:hug:

D

Dollit

Not barking Ash, you've just taken one of those huge leaps that can actually have wings.

I think you do have something and, as long as the avatars behave positively, something with huge potential for good.

Let's talk about this on another thread and lets have the whole MHF community join in on this discussion.

Is it workable, would you use it - why, why not.

Start a thread and let me know where it is and your Second Life details so I can have a recce.