Craving alcohol after Christmas...

razza

razza

All of a sudden I keep having thoughts and cravings for alcohol, ever since I had half a dozen on Christmas plus another Boxing Day. I didnt get tipsy at all which is surprising because usually one is enough for me to start feel a bit woozy just because I dont drink very often. I certainly felt the effects when I took my night meds, interacted terribly with the lithium or seroquel and I thought I wouldnt be able to breathe or I would collapse....

I havent had a whole glass/bottle/can eg of alcohol in about 2 years. Ever since I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety I havent touched alcohol save for the occasional sip of someone else's drink. Partly because I was worried about the interaction with my meds. Partly because I dont much like the taste of it. Partly because I know it is a depressant and I am depressed enough.

But now I can almost taste it. In particular one I had on Christmas, a delicious berry bliss vodka cruiser premixed drink.... I want it so so bad. There is ONE left in the fridge.... ooohhh...
I dont think the occassional drink is that bad, but this craving after only a couple of drinks on a couple of days when I have never ever been much of a drinker at all....

What is that about?
Will it go away?
Im trying to hold off thinking the longer I can put it off the more it will fade away, but it seems to be getting stronger and I dont know why!?!?! :unsure:

(my apologies if this is in the wrong forum)

J

jelly bean

I use to drink a litre bottle of vodka a day but to get awa from reality. I think its ok to have the odd glass or whatever over the festive period. I wouldnt say u have a problem just got the taste back for it as its been a long time since u drank last, Whenever I drink I get the taste for it again but it soons wears off. Hope u had a nice xmas and a happy new year to u :) x

pepecat

pepecat

I'd say the odd drink now and again is ok - I do that (but I don't like alcohol all that much anyway), but if you can, try not to drink too much. Like you said, alcohol and meds don't generally mix well, and alcohol will make you feel more crap. I drank more than i ever have when i was ill (and that REALLY wasn't much by most people's standards, but it was a lot for me), and that was to make me feel something - even if it was the warm and fuzzy alcohol induced feeling. But the next day i'd always feel worse. Without fail. The shrink said not to drink, so i didn't, and i certainly never craved it.
If you can, try and steer clear...... i reckon when we're ill we have enough to contend with without chucking alcohol into the mix, and lots of people drink to get rid of crappy feelings and then end up with a dual diagnosis of depression and alcoholism (read Sally Brampton's 'shoot the damn dog' if you want to know more - this happened to her).
Chocolate instead? Would that work?!

B

black and white cat

It is natural for you to crave alcohol because you are controlling your feelings better right now, and perhaps you know you are holding back a tidal wave (let's hope not), but problems tend to go gradually, you may be pushing yours in for Christmas/New Year. Sorry if i am wrong, but i did this and they came back to bite me on the butt! Alcohol is also used by many to control alleviate anxiety, that is how many become alcohol dependent. You may be anxious because you have been through hell and have the bad memories plus the current upset, you also might still be depressed and anxiety goes hand in hand with that usually doesn't it. I could literally taste alcohol for ages, i was drinking for the whole day because i was utterly overwhelmed by my feelings, plus i was horribly depressed. Alcohol sadly does a bluddy good job of easing your pain but it has worse consequences ie poor sleep, worse depression, makes you wrinkled and ugly and pale, messes up your digestion ie wind and the runs, rots your teeth and is very high in calories. Have i put you off ha ha i am too vain to drink. I don't need to anymore but then i take an anti psychotic prn or diazepam or nytol when things get too bad for me to cope. I have no doubt that if i am ill again i will start drinking again, luckily i then relapse bad and have the crisis team looking after me and they pour the alcohol down the sink!

razza

razza

Mmmm Chocolate...
I used to be a chocaholic but I have completely lost my appetite in recent months - my pdoc isnt concerned because I have lost weight as a result and I do need to, being overweight and with body image issues. But tbh I am concerned. I am certain I am not getting the nutrients, vitamins and minerals I need. I hardly eat at all. Not because I want to consciously not eat for whatever reason. But because I physically feel like I will be ill and I've noticed I also really fatigued at the thought and smell and sight of food and the process of actually eating wears me out so fast. I dont have any cravings anymore, not even for chocolate. It is like food which used to give me pleasure, gives me none now.

Which is kind of why I dont understand this alcohol cravings. I dont drink, I dont really like to drink, and I dont particularly like the woozy, slightly not in control effect it has on me. I know it is a depressant and I dont need that. It doesnt make me forget really because I dont drink enough of it. It doesnt make me feel any kind of pleasant feelings, when I had it on Christmas day which was the first time in years, it didnt make me feel any of the usual noticeable effects of alcohol at all. Apart from the taste and the "sociable" aspect of appearing to have a few nice drinks on Christmas I may as well have been drinking water. I didnt feel any effects at all until I added my meds to the mix several hours after my last drink.

So why would I be craving it if it didnt have any effect on me at all while I was actually drinking it?? It doesnt make sense to me and I am struggling to understand it. I have plans to finish the last 2 bottles on New Years Eve and New Years Day. But I dont want to start drinking and I am trying hard not to give in. I thought it was just "thirst" from the lithium but I have had that much to drink today - water, soft drink, fruit juice...

I feel like my body is trying to tell me something, I just dont know what or why and it is so frustrating.... Why am I craving something I have never had any desire for? :confused:

razza

razza

It is natural for you to crave alcohol because you are controlling your feelings better right now, and perhaps you know you are holding back a tidal wave (let's hope not), but problems tend to go gradually, you may be pushing yours in for Christmas/New Year. Sorry if i am wrong, but i did this and they came back to bite me on the butt! Alcohol is also used by many to control alleviate anxiety, that is how many become alcohol dependent. You may be anxious because you have been through hell and have the bad memories plus the current upset, you also might still be depressed and anxiety goes hand in hand with that usually doesn't it...
This does make sense. I just dont know what is going on. There have been lots of times I have nearly lost complete control between Christmas Eve and now and felt I had to bottle it back up quick. It did start to come out as a tidal wave when I was alone and talking to my helpline counsellor and "allowed" to finally feel and I started bawling and the emotions were coming out but I had to force it back in when my parents came home and I ended up ruining things with my helpline counsellor I think, IDK until Friday, freaking out about that... But I was craving alcohol before I called her... I dont know. This whole Christmas/New Year period just reminds me of how much of a failure I am and how I will never get any better.

Maybe my body knows something it is not telling me... Or it is trying to tell me something I dont know... IDK...

I am trying to be the "good" one, the model one and do it all better faster because I want to prove them all wrong because I dont like the labels theyve given me and I dont agree with them. And I think I ve ruined all that now because they wont believe my explanations even if they are the truth.

Fk. Im rambling on. Im sorry.
Maybe a drink will make me talk sense since I talk none when I am sober!
Just kidding (I think)...