cPTSD / Stressed biology - restoration through exercise?

J

johnram

So, i have posted before on what i feel exercise really gives me a boost, but having watched and read more about my cPTSD recently, i have come to appreciate that maybe the fact i am hypervigilant, stressed, tired, addicted etc which drain my cortisol, adrenals etc etc (brain chemicals of which i know names but not a lot of detail), it makes sense that i would get more of a boost from exercise, especially as intensity is raised a bit too.

As if i understand correctly, it gives the brain a boost of dopamine, reduces the stress symptoms and maybe heals some of the damage in the other chemical components

now i have done reading on these chemicals more from an addiction point of view, but i am keen to know if the above makes sense or anyone can offer some thoughts?

thank you

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

I work out four times a week.

What you experience is the feel good chemicals, endorphins.

J

johnram

thank you

I am asking about the specific imbalance from a CPTSD point of view though

J

johnram

Did anyone else have any thoughts, curious what others think here
thanks

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

thank you

I am asking about the specific imbalance from a CPTSD point of view though
Hi there.I was reading your posts here again and I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask.Are you wondering if exercise can maybe put everything back into balance and help with PTSD(or cPTSD) symptoms?If so,I do think exercise can help alleviate symptoms but I really don't think it can cure it or anything.I don't think it's just an imbalance of chemicals,I'm pretty sure PTSD causes actual physical changes in the brain.

J

johnram

Thank you SunnyDaze, so my question is, and apologies if its not clear:

e.g. Say cPTSD causes a depletion in 70% of dopamine, would exercise give dopamine a boost by 40%, taking you to a depletion of 30%.
And continue this statement for all major chemical changes

For now, the statement i hear in the research is something broad such as "Exercise helps for all mental health issues....", i want to know specifically for cPTSD, at a lower level, where and how it helps

maybe too big a question

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Maybe once cPTSD is actually included in the DSM as a diagnosis (if it ever is)there will be more research.

You would probably be better off researching PTSD rather than cPTSD to find what you're looking for.

J

johnram

thank you, yes that makes sense
wonder if and when it will land in the DSM, as it clear has differing symptoms

C

Celeste

So, i have posted before on what i feel exercise really gives me a boost, but having watched and read more about my cPTSD recently, i have come to appreciate that maybe the fact i am hypervigilant, stressed, tired, addicted etc which drain my cortisol, adrenals etc etc (brain chemicals of which i know names but not a lot of detail), it makes sense that i would get more of a boost from exercise, especially as intensity is raised a bit too.

As if i understand correctly, it gives the brain a boost of dopamine, reduces the stress symptoms and maybe heals some of the damage in the other chemical components

now i have done reading on these chemicals more from an addiction point of view, but i am keen to know if the above makes sense or anyone can offer some thoughts?

thank you
Hiya JRam. The gym thing, best £20 ever, worth every penny, focus on yourself, try high impact class where u have to concentrate, no pain no gain, and get fit too. Although it feels like torture at 1st the happy chemicals do kick in and leave u wanting that buzz. Keep going fitbit!

C

Celeste

Hiya JRam. The gym thing, best £20 ever, worth every penny, focus on yourself, try high impact class where u have to concentrate, no pain no gain, and get fit too. Although it feels like torture at 1st the happy chemicals do kick in and leave u wanting that buzz. Keep going fitbit!

J

johnram

welcome to the forums