• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

CPN informed SS!!

mami5

mami5

Last Monday night I overdosed on painkillers. Not a lot, just enough. Told my CPN about it on Tuesday. She wanted me to seek medical advise, I refused saying I was ok. I hadn't taken much. She then said that she'd have to inform SS because my children were in the house at the time. Can anyone tell me what can I expect from SS please? They have been out before to assess us, about 18 months - 2yrs ago. Nothing came of it then. Will it be worst now that I have actually overdosed? Not my first time doing it. I do it quite often, worse each time. Thank you xx

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't know re what to expect re SS but I imagine similar to last time? It sounds as though you were asking for help by telling your cpn, hopefully they will be sympathetic. X

T

Taffy

(((((((Mami)))))))
Sweetie.. I am so sorry to hear this, love to you.
Um.... children might be put on an at risk register.... there might be a sort of risk assessment also...its part of the Safeguarding children procedures.

It is worrying for you I know. I am sure your children didn't witness anything or were even aware...
heres a link... its a helluva long read but spells all the bits out..
xxxx
Child Protection Advice and Information

mami5

mami5

Thank you both for your replies. Last time SS came out I was only threatening to od and assured them that I wouldn't do it. Now I'm actually doing it and can't stop.

Thank you Taffy for the link. Have tried to read it but don't know what part of it fits our situation. My children have no idea I od.

F

fusen

I've had social services involved. Nothing came of it luckily. I was depressed, self harming and admitted to my cpn I seriously planned to take my life so I was put in hospital. Cpn got the social involved because she was worried about the affect it would have on my kids. Me and my mrs had to do in depth interviews(seperately), we were CRB checked or what ever it is called now and the social got involved with the kids schools. They held what was called a CAF meeting with the head teacher, my cpn, the social worker, a representative from my step sons college and a midwife(because my mrs was pregnant). It is pretty intrusive, but I put my point across. That I don't self harm around the kids, I do it in private and that my mental health does not affect the kids which was proven by their recent school marks(they were doing well).

It really is a case by case basis. Just make them see your mental health doesn't impact on the kids and you should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
mami5

mami5

Thank you fusen :hug:

I am a single parent and have two teenage sons living with me. Although my children aren't aware that I od my CPN is concerned that I could suffer from aftereffects that would effect them. Think that is why she contacted SS. I'm also scared that my ex will find out and try and take both boys from me. He has done before.

T

Taffy

hi Mami
xxx
Yeah sorry its a long link... Fusen has summed it up fairly... but its case by case as they said...

I think, to be frank, it depends what you told your CPN if you have said that you are od ing more and more and worse each time then that's a concern.

Really sorry if that sounds blunt but trying to be honest with you. Personally I would be careful on what is said. I know you are a good mum and love them so much. :hug1:

mami5

mami5

But if I didn't tell my CPN what I'm doing how am I to get any support and help for it? Difficult place to be in. Feel like I'm being punished for having kids.

T

Taffy

I understand.... that's what you need is help and support and you are being honest. There may well be a decision that there is no further action as happened before. xxx

mami5

mami5

Am still waiting for SS to contact me, don't know if they still will. Hope not.

Have overdosed again tonight. Slightly more than last time. Don't think I'll be telling my CPN.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi mami, huge hugs to you xxx
If you have od'd even a little, I urge you to seek help - you often feel fine but the effects are going on inside your body x
As for ss, I've had involvement from them following od's, it's never amounted to anything - they were never particularly helpful. One time they did do an initial assessment which involves chats with the kids, their schools and the other parent. But mostly they just come in, check the kids each have a bed and count the toothbrushes! They may advise a team around the child - which involves monthly meetings with ss and often the school just to keep an eye on the kids and you. But again, in my experience they just do a couple then stop it.
My ex took me to court claiming I wasn't fit to have my children due to my mental health. He lost thankfully! I was able to show I had a good support network around me and was managing just fine.
I do hope you seek help for your recent od - think of your boys if not yourself
Hugs x sparkly x

mami5

mami5

Thank you Sparkly :hug: Sorry you've been in the same situation. My ex has taken me to court in the past too to try and take the kids from me. They looked through my medical file with a fine toothcomb at the time. Luckily I won. I wasn't overdosing at the time though. Can't tell anyone what I've done tonight.

My GP has already requested I have a blood test after last week's episode. Will try and go next week. Otherwise I feel ok.

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
SS are a odd bunch they may of decided not to get involved. I'm sure if they were very concerned they would of been in touch sooner than this. Try not to worry about it.

I agree you should seek help for the OD it is not the way to go honey I assure you. :hug: xxx