CPN and CMHT Ignoring me/fobbing me off!

N

Norm_A

Hi,
My title might suggest I’m a bit anxious but things right now are fairly awful. I had a CPN who ended up going off sick for 4 months. During this time I saw another person once, they were rude and critical.
So my original CPN returned. I saw her twice. She saw me once, went on annual leave for 2 weeks and the second appointment I was told that I needed to have ‘a break’
This came as a shock to me as I had told my Psychiatrist during this time that I was struggling. He simply told me that he could “not just magic me a cpn, that the nhs is in crisis and resources are scarce.” I understand that. I also appreciate the help I do get. But during the last CPN appointment, I was told “Less is more!, sometimes You need to go out and live your life. I’ve been seeing you for a while now. You put up barriers. You need a break, I won’t be seeing you, but you can still call me!”
I was really upset/confused and I tried to tell her this. she put her hand up and told me to STOP. She got annoyed with me and told me that she deserved a holiday and did not need to explain herself to me. I wasn’t asking her to explain herself. I was upset because I’d been struggling. So 8 or so weeks have passed. I’ve had no cpn contact. I see my psychiatrist for 15 mins every 3 weeks to sign ect treatment forms. Every time I’m given different excuses..... He has said, “yes the CPN is refusing to see you. It’s no big deal! I’m sure given time it can be sorted out. He then then tells me he has no control over CPN services that they are an independent body. That now, there’s been too big a gap to see my cpn again and that Nothing is changing in my life. And apparently my CPN has decided I’m hostile.
Initially my CPN told me there would be a meeting about my care plan. This never happened. My psychiatrist just makes excuses. Telling me he is busy. That if we are to discuss anything a longer appointment is necessary. Or if I want to see my cpn again I need to change my meds.
The whole situation has messed my head up. I don’t trust people. I was physically, emotionally and sexually abused at various points during my childhood. I don’t have contact with my family. And I am constantly being told that I am angry. I don’t have a great opinion of myself. I speak quietly, but when I feel comfortable enough I try to be assertive and explain myself. I do not shout. I’ve even recorded my psychiatric appointments and asked people who know me if I am angry. When I try and tell people I don’t feel great, I’m generally just fobbed off. I told my CPN about my daily suicidal thoughts, She said she did not think I would actually go through with it. I once said I hadn’t showered for two weeks, she told me I was unhygienic. I’ve phoned, she’s not available. My partner has phoned and nobody is available. I once phoned and was basically told “well there’s nothing we can do at 4:45pm”
I’m not a prolific caller, one of the few times I actually called and spoke to my CPN, I was told to take responsibility for myself.
She even once suggested maybe I’m just keeping myself in this state because I’m used to it. I do not want to feel the way I do. I take my meds. I have had MH issues since I was about 11. The first time I attempted suicide. But everything I do is wrong. If I don’t speak I’m being awkward and if I do speak I’m being told that I’m difficult and trying to cause an argument. I literally just want to give up. It seems as if your CPN can’t be bothered with you she just stops giving you appointments and ignores you. The psychiatrist says it’s not a big deal and apparently now I just be discharged because I’m just a horrible person. I feel humiliated and embarrassed because I don’t think I’m an angry person. But the services can say whatever they like to get rid of me.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
N

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'm so sorry for your problems, the CPN and CMHT shouldn't be treating you this way.
Please complain to the CMHT there may be an advocate who could help you.
Google advocates in your local area.
Hope you get better services.
Is the ECT helping you?
Take care

I

iwanthope

Is the ect helping? How can you possibly say that ect helps, it's brain damage pure and simple. Read linda andre s book doctors of deception: what they don't want you to know about shock treatment.

M

mowhead

ACCOUNT CLOSED
mowhead what a disgusting attiyude from your team could you contact your local crisis team or Samaritans as long as you have not lost your temper and even if you have sometimes people push us to it good luck

echo66

echo66

Hi,
My title might suggest I’m a bit anxious but things right now are fairly awful. I had a CPN who ended up going off sick for 4 months. During this time I saw another person once, they were rude and critical.
So my original CPN returned. I saw her twice. She saw me once, went on annual leave for 2 weeks and the second appointment I was told that I needed to have ‘a break’
This came as a shock to me as I had told my Psychiatrist during this time that I was struggling. He simply told me that he could “not just magic me a cpn, that the nhs is in crisis and resources are scarce.” I understand that. I also appreciate the help I do get. But during the last CPN appointment, I was told “Less is more!, sometimes You need to go out and live your life. I’ve been seeing you for a while now. You put up barriers. You need a break, I won’t be seeing you, but you can still call me!”
I was really upset/confused and I tried to tell her this. she put her hand up and told me to STOP. She got annoyed with me and told me that she deserved a holiday and did not need to explain herself to me. I wasn’t asking her to explain herself. I was upset because I’d been struggling. So 8 or so weeks have passed. I’ve had no cpn contact. I see my psychiatrist for 15 mins every 3 weeks to sign ect treatment forms. Every time I’m given different excuses..... He has said, “yes the CPN is refusing to see you. It’s no big deal! I’m sure given time it can be sorted out. He then then tells me he has no control over CPN services that they are an independent body. That now, there’s been too big a gap to see my cpn again and that Nothing is changing in my life. And apparently my CPN has decided I’m hostile.
Initially my CPN told me there would be a meeting about my care plan. This never happened. My psychiatrist just makes excuses. Telling me he is busy. That if we are to discuss anything a longer appointment is necessary. Or if I want to see my cpn again I need to change my meds.
The whole situation has messed my head up. I don’t trust people. I was physically, emotionally and sexually abused at various points during my childhood. I don’t have contact with my family. And I am constantly being told that I am angry. I don’t have a great opinion of myself. I speak quietly, but when I feel comfortable enough I try to be assertive and explain myself. I do not shout. I’ve even recorded my psychiatric appointments and asked people who know me if I am angry. When I try and tell people I don’t feel great, I’m generally just fobbed off. I told my CPN about my daily suicidal thoughts, She said she did not think I would actually go through with it. I once said I hadn’t showered for two weeks, she told me I was unhygienic. I’ve phoned, she’s not available. My partner has phoned and nobody is available. I once phoned and was basically told “well there’s nothing we can do at 4:45pm”
I’m not a prolific caller, one of the few times I actually called and spoke to my CPN, I was told to take responsibility for myself.
She even once suggested maybe I’m just keeping myself in this state because I’m used to it. I do not want to feel the way I do. I take my meds. I have had MH issues since I was about 11. The first time I attempted suicide. But everything I do is wrong. If I don’t speak I’m being awkward and if I do speak I’m being told that I’m difficult and trying to cause an argument. I literally just want to give up. It seems as if your CPN can’t be bothered with you she just stops giving you appointments and ignores you. The psychiatrist says it’s not a big deal and apparently now I just be discharged because I’m just a horrible person. I feel humiliated and embarrassed because I don’t think I’m an angry person. But the services can say whatever they like to get rid of me.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
N

I'm sorry to read that you've had this experience with CMHT & CPN, unfortunately it isn't uncommon. I had an ongoing battle with my CMHT for over 6 months, problems with CPN, trying to get allocated to someone else. The only way I got anywhere was to involve a mental health advocacy service; do you have anything like that in your area? There is sometimes a waiting list to have someone take on your case, but when they do, it is free, they will work with you for as as long as you have an issue with CMHT and will advocate on your behalf - this could be making phone calls, attending meetings (with you or on your behalf), writing letters/emailing, generally acting as a go-between you and the CMHT until you reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Even though I consider myself to be articulate and generally able to fight my own corner, dealing with some of the eejits at CMHT left me feeling exhausted and emotionally battered - on top of MH issues this was just too much to deal with and I found having a third party who was on my side and would intervene when I couldn't even hold a rational conversation, an immense help.

I hope you find some support and are able to resolve your differences with CMHT; they need to remember that they are providing a service for their clients, who are often vulnerable and at the end of their tether, without us, they would not have a job!

T

TwoFarGone

Not alone. My CPN turned up 45 minutes late, leaving me outside, referred me to the wrong programs, didn't understand my issues, made appointments longer apart when I needed more help and then kept frantically sending me appointments when I said I wasn't turning up any more and they kept hounding me and asking me why I missed them when I told them I didn't want any more. The whole thing was not my fault and made out to be by doctors etc. who don't actually use the "services" they send you to and are nowhere to be seen when they take the piss.

Do your fucking job and help me or fuck off you pieces of shit. I didn't even ask for help, they offered to and I agreed. They made me a lot worse for their "treatment".

Last edited: