• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

CPA Review next week

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

Following a whole heap of stuff with my CPN... I'm now to have a CPA (can never remember what it stands for) review next weeek with my CPN, Psychiatrist, possibly my GP, my OH, a key worker from the local resource centre and probably a bunch of other people... I don't know!

This will be my first CPA and I was wondering what people's experiences of these things are. My GP has already kind of warned me that I may be 'railroaded' - his words not mine! I'm guessing that it's gone from me requesting a different CPN due to personality clash to it now being a full review of everything that I get and it's really starting to worry me... am I going to break down in front of them all... or clam up and say nothing. Hey I might be lucky and be sectioned!

The professional people I talk to say stuff like.... oooh you should say that at the CPA. or ooooh, write that down for the CPA. I'm sure that's good advice but at the moment all I want to do is scream and cry when I think about it :cry:. It reminds me of ward round in hospital which were pretty awful things that were definitely done unto you.

What happens in one? How have you found them and what would you suggest I do?

Any thoughts or information would be very helpful... I don't even know if these are common practice across the UK or whether its just some local thing. Anyway I'd be really grateful! Thankyou :hug: (I'm going to google it now to see if there's anything out there!)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Off the top of me head i think it stands for Care Programme Approach

I attend my brother's & my OH ( saying that he's only had one ).
It's a time for you all to say how thing's are going etc . Nothing to worry over .
Wouldn't think they'd railroad you .......... it's not adult is it to do thing's like that.

They usually begin with the " minutes " from your last one & see if thing's have been actioned etc since then.

D

Dollit

It's an opportunity for everyone who's involved in your care to get together in one spot and talk things over and make sure that you as well as them think you're benefiting from the right approach.

Do write things down. This gives you an better opportunity to say the things that you need to. Remember you're not being judged it's all about you and your well being.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Ffunny enough i've got a CPA in a weeks time, can sympathise with the comment about railroading.

They're talking about closing the case, if i present as ill then i risk a psychiatrist who beleives drugs are the holy grail going on a hunt for the holy grail and prescribing me meds to i'm totally drugged.

If i argue well then they can close my case regardless of the benefit issues and bad housing issues

I don't think things are fixed a lot depends on how i present

I do get paranoid and "Experience people talking about me in public places" i also hear voices if stressed up, funny enough my last high stress when someone threatened to kill me i didn't

i Find this stabilised on meds business really annoying, it's not a fit for work recovery but tell that to the average psychiatrist who's wined and dined at drug compoany conferences

It's hard and a catch 22 where if your articulate they hold it against you

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Don be afraid of it. Normally there is a psychiatririst and a CPN or SW in attendance and if you want someone else there for yourself (family or friend) they dont usually have any objection.

They will go thru what help is there for you and any telephone numbers you may need in an emergency. I didnt really have much problem with mine other than them wanting me to hand my bank cards over. But eveyrone is taken on there own needs and you will require something tailored to you.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Handing your bank cards over, funny world they don't care less about my money gripes

Haven't got a CPA or social worker, my care co ordinator was talking about having a social worker there, to cover his ass, yes i'm pissed off with him, not that i've got rights

Family member or friend to come along who? the friends i've got i'd rather they didn't see me demeaned and family, where are they?

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Woa - all sounds a bit weird! One thing I'm sure of is that I don't want them to sign me off - at least just yet - I get panicky just thinking about that.

I guess I'm just going to have to see how it goes.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
rambo

It seem sad Rambo that you dont have anyone on your side. Cos you do need people to speak up for you some times. I cant speak for anyone else, but it seems im very lucky with the care i get. At the moment , cos ive been ill, i see my SW every week plus a phne call and the psych every two weeks. I also have family that understands my illness plus another friend who i met thru the hospital and they would soon say if they thought i was being spoken down to.

Regarding my cards it was more cos they feared i could lose my house. When i get manic i spend money like water. Ive bought off the internet when my cards were taken cos im registered with paypal and they dont seem to have realised that you only need the numbers and not the card for other sites. I even re mortgaged my house a couple of years ago to get money.