• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Covid + health anxiety 😢

B

Berg

Hi all

I'm incredibly anxious and stressed at the moment. I have agreed to go and see my best friend who lives in the next city from mine so that's like a 1 hour train there and back, and to stop over at his - there is big enough space for us to be sat in the same room and social distancing (6-10 feet apart) and obviously sleeping in separate rooms. I do have a mask and hand sanitiser.

My friend lives alone so isn't exposed to other people very often at all and he has no symptoms and is doing well but he's lonely, as am I but I just keep having thoughts in my head that somehow I'll catch this virus. It's starting to cut across my social life and effect my ability to be around other people. Is there anything I can do to settle this or do I need to realise that I am putting myself at risk and will prob catch this virus by using a train and seeing my friend? Should I wear my mask around him even if we are far enough apart? I don't know if I'm catastrophising it or not because the thoughts in my head are so loud. I'm a sensible person and have been following all the precautions since the pandemic started.

Any advice or kind words would be so appreciated.

T

Tragically_

The train is what would worry me with all that you've explained. Don't feel uncomfortable to not stand near anyone and if they are too close, get up and walk to another spot. Keep the window open if possible. If you have a face shield wear that. Otherwise I would say good for you and give your friend company. Good for both of you. If your friend told you who theyve been around then you know

Better safe than sorry. I have anxiety from it as well but I would feel comfortable except for the train bit. I have ridden the train here twice to go up north since the pandemic . It was not packed. That makes a difference too. But 2nd time I was very stressed. I left and took a taxi. Also because they run late all the time. Trains here are quite crap.

B

Berg

The train is what would worry me with all that you've explained. Don't feel uncomfortable to not stand near anyone and if they are too close, get up and walk to another spot. Keep the window open if possible. If you have a face shield wear that. Otherwise I would say good for you and give your friend company. Good for both of you. If your friend told you who theyve been around then you know

Better safe than sorry. I have anxiety from it as well but I would feel comfortable except for the train bit. I have ridden the train here twice to go up north since the pandemic . It was not packed. That makes a difference too. But 2nd time I was very stressed. I left and took a taxi. Also because they run late all the time. Trains here are quite crap.
Thank you!

The trains here are quite good to be honest. You aren't allowed to sit near anyone and I believe they run at around 30% capacity and have lots and lots of carriages so yes there would be other people on the train but no one around me. Certain seats are blocked off as well so passengers are forced to sit on a socially distanced way.

T

Tragically_

Good. Announce to everyone you have toxic chemicals in your bag and it would recommended they don't come close hahaha see how well that works.

At your friend smooth sailing!

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

10% or 1 in 10 is a very bad argument against fear mongering.

Alex, i get stressed knowing im going to be in an enclosure with others. In our building we have a clinic that tests for c19 so anyone coming i make sure to not come close to me. Its stressing. Biggest problem is it does spread fast

From someone who has bad anxiety with it i would say is be aware around you and your surroundings and make adjustments. If im in a supermarket in line and someone creeps closer, i ask them to please keep some diatance. You can always walk away. Walk up stairs walk to the other side of the street. Be aware of those around you. If ypure in an uncomfortable situation just walk away and come back another time. Buy extra things so you have some spare items and buy before it completely runs out. Just be aware of your surroundings and you have the choice to walk away
I have found generally older people and especially old, foreign people are the ones who are least aware of social distancing. I was at a pharmacy a few weeks ago and, when I first walked in, I saw some old foreign lady and her middle aged daughter shopping with confused looks on their faces. I say to myself, 'Stay away from them, that's Anxiety on two legs over there.'.

So, I head back to the pharmacists counter and lucky me! Nobody else is inline besides me. But then the da-n pharmacists assistant takes forever to find my order, ring it up, package it and so on. By then, more folks are starting to conglomerate around the counter causing me anxiety. I'm ready to let the pharmacy assistant have a piece of my mind with her dawdling, but I figure 'You can't fix stupid.'.

I finally get my order and start to turn around to get away and there stands this old foreign lady and her daughter encroaching within my 2 meter space. I hold up my hand to signal her to back away and she takes it as a signal to get even closer and talk OVER me in a loud voice at the Pharmacist-she had some question about where on the racks she could find some product. I turn to the pharmacist, who I know and say 'This always happens to me. They always find me in a store'. If this lady had the virus she would have sprayed it all over me when she was shouting at the pharmacist. Absolutely no common sense or respect for another person, just rude and stupid.

Well, I made it a few weeks since then without getting ill so I guess I can relax now, but this is the risk you run whenever you go out, right? It's always a gamble. You want to get in and get out as quickly as possible without an 'incident' like this, but you're dealing with other folks and some of them are not too smart, too courteous and too respectful. It's maddening.

ClaireWalker

ClaireWalker

Me here. The fact that you may get this virus from wherever and the fact that everything has changed so suddenly gives me panic attacks. I can't go to the grocery store without being scared AF and all the news on TV are so alarming. I hoped this will end soon, but it's been eight months and nothing good happened so far.

T

Tragically_

If this lady had the virus she would have sprayed it all over me when she was shouting at the pharmacist. Absolutely no common sense or respect for another person, just rude and stupid.

This is it exactly Mr Alexander, and why infections happen. Stupid people without using common sense and being selfish and inconsiderate of others. It's not diffuclt either. Be considerate of other people's space who are cautious and even worried. People in the USA are the ones who understand what "personal space" means and here is an incident of the opposite. Sorry you had to go through that. I would have lost control if someone came into my face like that

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

If this lady had the virus she would have sprayed it all over me when she was shouting at the pharmacist. Absolutely no common sense or respect for another person, just rude and stupid.

This is it exactly Mr Alexander, and why infections happen. Stupid people without using common sense and being selfish and inconsiderate of others. It's not diffuclt either. Be considerate of other people's space who are cautious and even worried. People in the USA are the ones who understand what "personal space" means and here is an incident of the opposite. Sorry you had to go through that. I would have lost control if someone came into my face like that
I just dealt with the anxiety for a few days afterwards. If you make it past 3-4 days without getting sick you can assume you weren't exposed to any virus, in my judgement. But, it's just so uncalled for. If everyone would just wear a facemask, practice social distancing, wash their hands and do the prudent things we'd all be at very low risk. But, like they say a chain is only as strong as the weakest link-well, when you're around other folks you're only as safe as the most foolish person allows you to be.

I usually go shopping at the earliest hours in the morning to avoid crowds, some of our stores are now open at 6:00 am. You can get in and get out without too much hassle or concern. Again, most folks don't need to worry about being this careful but my wife and I are both above 65 and she has health concerns-so we have to go the extra mile with caution.

T

Tragically_

As you said-uncalled for.

It's terrible there are so many who really try and we all are feeling fatigue from being aware to keep to guidelines but then when you have morons and selfish idiots who have no awereness or sensitivity to others or the situation, it stresses those who care even more

My mom said that its the sensitive ones who care and are attentive are the ones who suffer in life. Those who aren't shit on others and don't care who they run over to get what they want. Selfish shitty people. All those antimaskers just stress those who care even more. And how are we to subside those numbers? You can't. Can you imagine how it would be if more people were like them? Deaths would be multiplied numerous times
Fingers crossed all will be well Mr Alexander

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

As you said-uncalled for.

It's terrible there are so many who really try and we all are feeling fatigue from being aware to keep to guidelines but then when you have morons and selfish idiots who have no awereness or sensitivity to others or the situation, it stresses those who care even more

My mom said that its the sensitive ones who care and are attentive are the ones who suffer in life. Those who aren't shit on others and don't care who they run over to get what they want. Selfish shitty people. All those antimaskers just stress those who care even more. And how are we to subside those numbers? You can't. Can you imagine how it would be if more people were like them? Deaths would be multiplied numerous times
Fingers crossed all will be well Mr Alexander
It is very stressful, isn't it? When I'm in a store, even early in the morning when crowds are small, I keep on looking every which way to make sure somebody doesn't sneak up behind me and violate my 2 meter space. It's amazing how some folks, instead of waiting for you to move away, will just come up and lean over you to get something off the shelves. I avoid crowds in aisles and will skip an aisle and come back if there are too many people in it. But, all that attentiveness stresses you and wears you out.

That's why I've taken to having a big glass of beer everyday at 5:00 pm. By then, my workday is over with and I'm starting to unwind. I have that big glass of good beer and get a little buzz and relax. Little pleasures like that mean so much this year.

You take care of yourself 'Tragically' and we'll both make it through this miserable year with only bad memories and no health issues. Shalom!

T

Tragically_

You're sharp. I too have to look around me. Like fogger the game I try to make it to my bike navigating myself through the store and back to the bike.

I have no stress when I'm in line and others are aware of the distancing and also follow protocol. I suddenly feel we have a similar language and we all know we need to do this together but damn just some personal space. Here's a little something that seems true

Attachments

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you.switch off the tv, don't buy a newspaper and don't google covid the stress is almost unnoticeable. As is covid itself.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

First off, I hope everyone is in good health. But in general this type of coverage and media hype can cause unneeded stress. It’s best to be accommodating and secure both mentally as well as physically. Happy mind happy body happy you!

T

Tragically_

easier said than done. im battling to erase god from my mind. i consider myself a misotheist

when i see masks it brings reminder oc the situation were in

yesterday i was at the gas station some ahole wqlked in with no mask went to the cashier to buy a mask. stay the eff outside and have him bring you. stuff like that makes me rage. than his fat friend said no stay in the store when he was told to leave. younger folks under 30

tomorrow we start reopening (4 weeks of lockdown ). a slow process of 7+ stages over 3+ month. it will be back to high infected within 2 months because 2 specific groups dont care to follow rules.

ronaldo i heard is in a bad state with covid. trying to be brave. i guess karma came around to say no

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laudanum

I was getting my hair cut (with masks and visors) 3 weeks ago. On my way back to the car a woman jumped in front of me (no mask) and started talking about Jesus for over 20 minutes.

Three days later I felt unwell (shivery then hot and vomited twice). My current headaches started around then.

I don't think I had a temperature (bought a thermometer), not do I think I had coronavirus, but you never know.