• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

COVID-19 stress eating

valleygirl

valleygirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I just found out yesterday that I am laid off of work, and I'm really wanting to binge. I've been trying to lose weight with the ketogenic diet, but I feel like I've been thrown a curveball and the stress is making me want to go back to my binge eating habits. But I can't just make a trip to the store to stock up on binge foods, because I don't have the money. Otherwise I'd be heading to the store for potato chips and Haagen Daas ice cream. The urge to binge is so strong that I'm thinking of breaking into my laundry money.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Its such a stressful time for so many of us. I totally understand. Are you able to eventually after the virus find a therapist who might be able to help you. I am sorry you are laid off, money worries must be plaguing you now. Try hard to stick to your desire to have that special diet and not binge. It causes so many health problems further down the line. Easy for me to say, I know...

valleygirl

valleygirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for your reply, Calypso. How are you holding up? I'll have to see about finding a therapist. It's tricky with my work schedule. My shift is usually 8-5, and to get time off for an appointment is hard because we are chronically short-staffed. Given that I work in a daycare centre, we have to be in ratio at all times. Luckily my psychiatrist starts seeing patients at 6:50 a.m., so I don't have to take time off work for that. I did manage to lose weight on the keto diet, but now I have gained back some of that. I just keep yo-yo-ing up and down.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Are you in the USA? I am in Britain and we have just had a lockdown law passed so things like daycare is banned here. I found that my stress levels with the virus went down once I knew exactly what to do to protect myself (I am very high risk). I think you can break down what is frightening you that causes the eating behaviour and work through the list you write one thing at a time.

T

tracyyewdale

Is having the urge to eat more, a normal thing a person would do if stressed out?

valleygirl

valleygirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you in the USA? I am in Britain and we have just had a lockdown law passed so things like daycare is banned here. I found that my stress levels with the virus went down once I knew exactly what to do to protect myself (I am very high risk). I think you can break down what is frightening you that causes the eating behaviour and work through the list you write one thing at a time.
I am in Canada. Daycare centres here are considered an essential service, so they do not have to close, but they can choose to close if they want. My employer decided to close to keep staff safe from contracting COVID-19. I just completed my EI application, and am so anxious that it won't get processed in a timely manner. My anxiety is not so much about getting sick as it is about being able to pay my rent and bills. I will be okay for April rent, but not sure if I will have enough for May rent, bills, and food. And ironically right now I am tempted to spend more money on binge food right now. Grocery stores are still open as they are considered an essential service.

valleygirl

valleygirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am totally freaking out right now. When I did the online application for Employment Insurance I was only required to declare eRnings from the last week I worked. And that week I only worked 3 days. So I'm freaking out that the amount I will get from EI will be based only on those earnings and not reflect the fact that normally I work full time. I can't get through on the phone line for EI, and I can't get through on the crisis line. Both lines are so busy that they automatically disconnect my call. I am so scared.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Can you do anything online? No doubt you have thought of that...I am so sorry you are going through this.

valleygirl

valleygirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Can you do anything online? No doubt you have thought of that...I am so sorry you are going through this.
Do you mean work online? I am trained as an early childcare educator, working in a daycare setting. I cannot work remotely.

calypso

calypso

Admin
No I didn't mean that. I meant get hold of the department about your wages

valleygirl

valleygirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No I didn't mean that. I meant get hold of the department about your wages
Oh, no, I can't access that information online until they send me by snail mail my access code. I don't know how long that will take because they are processing literally hundreds of thousands of EI claims. I've calmed down a bit now. I'm going to try to distract myself by crocheting. I'm a yarn addict, so I've got plenty work with. No need to go to the craft store for yarn.

valleygirl

valleygirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I will be able to have a telephone appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow morning, so I am hoping that will help with at least some emotional/psychological support. I would LOVE if he would prescribe me some Ativan for my anxiety.