• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

court next Friday

stejjy12

stejjy12

Well the time is almost here, my anxiety is at the maximum it's ever been and I am very nervous, I will explain, 4 weeks ago I had a heavy night of drinking that lasted till the next day, went to bed and slept it off, started to feel fluey so I had a hot toddy in the evening, my friend amber called me up very upset, she is terminal with cancer and her partner passed away November last year without any warning, she asked me to go visit her so I said ok, I honestly thought I was ok to drive as all I had was a hot toddy but boy was I wrong !!!! I went to the services to get a packet of fags and the police were there drinking coffee, the cashier smelt alcohol on me and alerted them, got breathlised and I failed :-( I got it sooo wrong, I never made it to my friends as was thrown in the cells, I have learnt a massive lesson to never drink and drive even if ya feel fine, this has just added to the already full plate, I am very slender and don't weigh very much, it's shocked me that one drink can make a person unfit to drive, I am not one to get into trouble so I am not used to the whole court police thing, I am totally against drink driving and now hating myself for my stupid reckless mistake, very upset at the moment and my judgement is very clouded, I have had 4 weeks of upset and anxiety that is out of control and I can't wait till its all over, I have suffered with depression many years and this has tipped me over the edge where I see no way out, my mood changes everyday like the weather

So depressed big time, on seroqual and mirtazapine propranolol and sedatives, I am finding the sedatives make me worse and heightens my anxiety so I have stopped them

Many thanks for listening
Stejjy

flowergirl

flowergirl

Its not surprising that you are so stressed and anxious but everyone makes mistakes and no one luckily got hurt if you were oblivious to what was wrong then it would be a bit different imo but you seem very genuine if you know what your alcohol reading was youcan get a rough idea of what might happen.

T

Taff

Sorry to hear this, the hot toddy maybe with the drugs made you ill.
If you got breathalysed and you only had a hot toddy your read out cant have been hugely over the legal limit.
Hope you are being represented in court? Can you demonstrate that you were on an urgent errand of mercy and so on? All mitigating circumstances. Hopefully if you have a clean sheet and no points you might be able to keep your licence?
So very very sorry to hear this, sending you best wishes.
Pwb luc!
Taffy

G

gaz1969

normally a minimum 12 mnth ban with option to reduce to 9 if a drink awareness course is taken up. Courts are very blanket rule and show little compassion to DD. you prob had alcohol from day before topped up with the toddy of which you haven't said how big it was

If you need the car for work the judge may be lenient, the rules around DD are not fair as the public are playing a game of roulette whenever they drink and drive so the answer is don't drive after drinking untill you feel the alcohol is out of your system. About 1 hour per unit should see you sober.

stejjy12

stejjy12

Thanks for your replies, I had no aggravating factors and I complied with the police totally, my reading was 72 breath and my solicitor said it could have been the medication that upped the reading, but I told the solicitor I can't mentally fight the charge as I think it would make my health worse, I am pretty disgusted with myself as I have horses that need me and I won't be able to keep them anymore, I had one hot toddy with whiskey lemon and honey, and I also took co codamol earlier in the night, I do have mitigating factors, my car was insured had no passengers or accidents or anything like that and I basically did what I was told, this is just a warning to anyone, even of ya sniff a drink, don't drive

T

Taff

Hi stejjy, thats high ish just for a hot tod , depends on how much whiskey though. I think the mix with the meds hasnt helped.
Sorry that this is a mess for you mate, no one hurt physically and fortunately so lets be glad for that.
A hard lesson to learn I guess, hope someone learns from your mistake and good comes from this.
Take care, keep talking to us too if it helps. Taffy x

G

gaz1969

72 is more than twice the DD limit and prob 2 year ban.

flowergirl

flowergirl

i looked it up on the drink aware site and its usually only a one year ban and a fine and it does depend on the circumstances. there was no agrivating factors no previous offences. I hope you have a good solicitor and make sure they tell the court about your medications for mental health also. keep posting if you can and let us know how it goes. i dont believe anyone has the right to judge you on this unless they have unfortunate personal experience of it.

G

gaz1969

I don't think you can blame the medication as if you make the courts aware you are taking sedative medication they may Queenie your ability to drive on this medication anyway.

What other sedatives are you on?

It is doubtful your prescription is cause for you to be over the limit. I know it is stressful but sometimes you have to plan for the inevitable as it is doubtful you will escape with-out a ban and fine.

Police report that they are catching more DD's the morning after (or when the person has rested for a while and chosen to drive)

Distressing for you I know but it has happened now it is out of your hands and adaption to the out come of the courts needs to be taken speedily.

It has effected many people and you say you have no previous record and a solicitor so leniency plea is the way forward but expect the worst and be prepared.

Life is a learning curve and this is a short steep curve in a long road ahead which will give you some good times too.

T

Taff

What does queenie mean please Gaz? it s probably an age thing with me, sorry. x

M

mumdownunder

What does queenie mean please Gaz? it s probably an age thing with me, sorry. x
I'm guessing its a typo and it should read question -well that's my guess anyway

T

Taff

thanks mumdownunder, yes question fits or the word query does too so its probably something like that.
Thanks for taking the time out to help, lovely person you are xx:)

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

I got caught for, to use the Magistrates Parlance, "Being Intoxicated By A Sleeping Draft".

I'd just driven (On an R800 BMW Motorbike) to Great Malvern with my best mate on the back.

Being both very prone to Anxiety having climbed to the top of the Malvern Hills my best mate succumbed to temptation and took two Zopiclones from his supply in his pocket unbeknownst to me.

From there we travelled to the Cotswolds where he sneaked another two down his neck.

He was then euphoric and then talked me into downing 4 whilst he had another 4.

Eventually just outside of his flat I went into the back of a Nissan micra at 5mph and the driver called the police.

I eventually received a three year ban and had to pay court costs of £200.

This ban ran from 2000-03