• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Court Case Pending, Really Struggling

Argon

Argon

I had to pay a lawyer $3000 10 years ago to help me appeal and get a work suspension taken off my record. So £1800 seems to cheap to me. That's $2500, right? I guess it makes sense if it's just the retainer. I know people who had to spend $10,000 when accused of domestic assault.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

You need to make sure you have a good lawyer. Many trial lawyers are awful. I had a public defender when I want to court on simple assault. The max is one year. Most people get a 30 day suspended sentence though. The lawyer sent an unscrupulous shrink to evaluate me. I was found incompetent and then my lawyer pleaded me insane and I spent over 2 years in a psych hospital.
Two years in a psych hospital? That's horrible. The unscrupulous shrink and your lawyer should have been admitted to the hospital instead of you!

G

Greyhound21

I had to pay a lawyer $3000 10 years ago to help me appeal and get a work suspension taken off my record. So £1800 seems to cheap to me. That's $2500, right? I guess it makes sense if it's just the retainer. I know people who had to spend $10,000 when accused of domestic assault.

£1800 is the total I have to pay. Still a painful amount to have to pay though.

G

Greyhound21

Court trial was due today. My solicitor phoned yesterday evening to say he had been in a call to the prosecutor to discuss a deal. Upshot was the charge was downgraded to Careless driving. I appeared in court today and after a very uncomfortable 45 minutes ended up with 8 penalty points (12 equals a ban) and a £450 fine.

Not an ideal result but could have been much worse. I keep my licence, keep my job and hopefully restore my mental health back to the improving state it was in before this all started.

Argon

Argon

They like to make you sweat. Over here they don't have enough time to put everyone on trial so they usually offer deals like that - plea bargains. Problem is that a lot of innocent people take the deal rather than risk losing.

C

celticlass

I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety for years now. Last year, after feeling better for a year or so I decided to come off my meds.

3 days after stopping I got involved in a road incident and was reported to the police. Subsequently was charged with dangerous driving and breach of the peace, charges which i deny.

This has rumbled on for 14 months but yesterday it was confirmed that the case will go to trial next week. My mood level sunk with this hanging over me and now it is at an all time low. I am absolutely terrified at the prospect of appearing in court and the possibility of losing my licence and probably my job if convicted.

Has anyone else here appeared in court and how did you cope with this? I really feel as if I will break down and make my situation worse.

Is there a chance that the sudden stop of my meds made my mood change and had a bearing on my behaviour? This was all very much out of character.
Oh I've been in Court for drink driving. I had only come out of a mental health hospital but was really still very unwell. All of that information was put before the Sheriff. I was admitting my guilt though and Solicitor gave information in mitigation. Do you not think you should change your plea to guilty and chalk it up to experience? I also was taken to Court in error when a third party wrote off my parked car! He basically got away with it when he should have been charged with careless driving. But I don't want to talk about a trauma I have left behind.

M

Mistral

Court trial was due today. My solicitor phoned yesterday evening to say he had been in a call to the prosecutor to discuss a deal. Upshot was the charge was downgraded to Careless driving. I appeared in court today and after a very uncomfortable 45 minutes ended up with 8 penalty points (12 equals a ban) and a £450 fine.

Not an ideal result but could have been much worse. I keep my licence, keep my job and hopefully restore my mental health back to the improving state it was in before this all started.

You did everything right. You treated the matter seriously and got yourself a good lawyer. Being uncomfortable during the court case is normal. The judge expects the people up before him/her to be uncomfortable. In fact if they are not the judge will see it as disrespect and might come down harder.

Ras

Ras

Former member
I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety for years now. Last year, after feeling better for a year or so I decided to come off my meds.

3 days after stopping I got involved in a road incident and was reported to the police. Subsequently was charged with dangerous driving and breach of the peace, charges which i deny.

This has rumbled on for 14 months but yesterday it was confirmed that the case will go to trial next week. My mood level sunk with this hanging over me and now it is at an all time low. I am absolutely terrified at the prospect of appearing in court and the possibility of losing my licence and probably my job if convicted.

Has anyone else here appeared in court and how did you cope with this? I really feel as if I will break down and make my situation worse.

Is there a chance that the sudden stop of my meds made my mood change and had a bearing on my behaviour? This was all very much out of character.
court isnt as bad as you might think. the waiting and anticipation for it is worse. As far as your driving charges go, you will be fine. I went to court years back over 2 counts of dangerous driving and 3 counts of causing grevious bodily harm and lost my license for 2 years and did some community service.
Is it your first offence? what type of job you got?
i think you will be fine. If you lose your license for a bit, you will adapt and in no time be driving again. As far as your job, i am sure you will be okay.

Argon

Argon

court isnt as bad as you might think. the waiting and anticipation for it is worse.
I got 2 years! I almost got out at the 6 month mark, but the state found a patient who said I wanted to get the creeps who railroaded me and I got another year and a half.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I really wanna know what you did now. :popcorn:

Argon

Argon

2 years locked up?
Yes - in a psych hospital. The sentence is actually indefinite. One guy got 4 years fro throwing a thermometer at a nurse.