• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Court Case Pending, Really Struggling

G

Greyhound21

I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety for years now. Last year, after feeling better for a year or so I decided to come off my meds.

3 days after stopping I got involved in a road incident and was reported to the police. Subsequently was charged with dangerous driving and breach of the peace, charges which i deny.

This has rumbled on for 14 months but yesterday it was confirmed that the case will go to trial next week. My mood level sunk with this hanging over me and now it is at an all time low. I am absolutely terrified at the prospect of appearing in court and the possibility of losing my licence and probably my job if convicted.

Has anyone else here appeared in court and how did you cope with this? I really feel as if I will break down and make my situation worse.

Is there a chance that the sudden stop of my meds made my mood change and had a bearing on my behaviour? This was all very much out of character.

L

lovetta_rose

I am not a doctor, but I have gone through mood changes, and one time withdrawal, after suddenly stopping my meds.

Haven't appeared in court yet but will potentially have to at some point in my life as a witness

D

Deleted member 101837

I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety for years now. Last year, after feeling better for a year or so I decided to come off my meds.

3 days after stopping I got involved in a road incident and was reported to the police. Subsequently was charged with dangerous driving and breach of the peace, charges which i deny.

This has rumbled on for 14 months but yesterday it was confirmed that the case will go to trial next week. My mood level sunk with this hanging over me and now it is at an all time low. I am absolutely terrified at the prospect of appearing in court and the possibility of losing my licence and probably my job if convicted.

Has anyone else here appeared in court and how did you cope with this? I really feel as if I will break down and make my situation worse.

Is there a chance that the sudden stop of my meds made my mood change and had a bearing on my behaviour? This was all very much out of character.
Sounds awful time you been having, will you have support when you go to court ??

G

Greyhound21

Sounds awful time you been having, will you have support when you go to court ??
Sadly not, due to COVID rules only the accused, lawyers and court staff will be allowed in. It’s going to be sheer hell. My poor wife will be sitting in a cafe nearby going out of her mind with worry.

D

Deleted member 101837

Sadly not, due to COVID rules only the accused, lawyers and court staff will be allowed in. It’s going to be sheer hell. My poor wife will be sitting in a cafe nearby going out of her mind with worry.
How long have you got to wait for the court case ?, sorry your wife cannot attend the court room.

D

Deleted member 101837

Can you get a solicitor is is it too expensive ?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I had a similar experience but plead guilty and got two years probation. I live with my parents and they help me get to places. I am on disability so I don’t have a job. The law can be so punitive for cases like this. For most people if they lose their license everything else is lost too. I would speak with your lawyer about your mental illness and see what they would think about asking for a statement from your doctor. It is possible that stopping your meds had something to do with it. If you show that you are back on them and demonstrating med adherance it might work in your favor some.
I have bipolar disorder and was manic at the time if the incident but the public defender didn’t want to work that angle (she was piss poor) so I ended up pleading guilty. Frankly I think I received poor legal advice so I wouldn’t hesitate to pursue your ideas and advocate for your own interests. I had to appear in court (not trial) at about three different hearings. I don’t think I could have handled a full trial. The pressure would have been too much for me. xo, j

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I wouldn't mention anything about your going off the meds, especially since you didn't consult your doctor to do so. I also wouldn't mention anything about going back on the meds since it occurred after the incident and therefore is irrelevant. I would definitely retain a lawyer for your case.

Argon

Argon

You need to make sure you have a good lawyer. Many trial lawyers are awful. I had a public defender when I want to court on simple assault. The max is one year. Most people get a 30 day suspended sentence though. The lawyer sent an unscrupulous shrink to evaluate me. I was found incompetent and then my lawyer pleaded me insane and I spent over 2 years in a psych hospital.

JessisMe

JessisMe

You need to make sure you have a good lawyer. Many trial lawyers are awful. I had a public defender when I want to court on simple assault. The max is one year. Most people get a 30 day suspended sentence though. The lawyer sent an unscrupulous shrink to evaluate me. I was found incompetent and then my lawyer pleaded me insane and I spent over 2 years in a psych hospital.
It seems like unscrupulous shrinks are part and parcel of the court system. It’s epidemic and as crooked as it gets.

K

keith74

I wouldn't mention anything about your going off the meds, especially since you didn't consult your doctor to do so. I also wouldn't mention anything about going back on the meds since it occurred after the incident and therefore is irrelevant. I would definitely retain a lawyer for your case.
I think it is ok to mention going off your meds. During my wife's recent manic episode, she was involved in an incident where police were involved. She (eventually) disclosed everything regarding her illness and being off meds, etc and got a letter from he psychiatrist regarding her illness and the court recommended a mental health diversion which can lead to charges being withdrawn if she continues treatment (meds, therapy). Full disclosure about her illness (with confirmation from her psychiatrist) helped.