• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

counselling / psychotherapy????

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi all,

I'm having a little dilemma -
I have lots of issues that need sorting out - I'll be brief;
Historical childhood sexual abuse
Self harm from when I was a toddler
Depression
Pychcosis
Obesity / binge eating / addiction to food
Grief

So, I've decided to go back to psychotherapy, I've had three years of it in the past - I was just opening up to one after a year then he moved away and the second I never opened up enough to get to the root of the problems.
So, shall I go for some bereavement counselling first as this is my issue atm or shall I go for psychotherapy to sort out the root of my problems first?
Can you do both at the same time?
I'm confused

W

Waverunner

Psychotherapy can help for the bereavement as well. That's how I started psychotherapy

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Oh right, should I just rock up to a psychotherapist and present with all of my problems!!!!

W

Waverunner

I can only share my own experience. I presented with the bereavement and loss and it led on to other things. I'm sorry if that's not helpful to you.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i would tell them about it all in the first session if you can. like just the list. i am not sure what is normal but when i started therapy i told her briefly about all my issues as i wanted to find someone that could help with them all not just like one thing.

C

Christobel

I wasn't able to let it all hang out in the first session. I dealt with my separation anxiety first, which wasn't such a big deal, and when I felt more relaxed, dealt with child sex abuse, which I think led to the other MH problems such as depression and anxiety and also psychosis.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Wave runner - I didn't mean to offend I was just meaning that's a good idea. it came out all wrong sorry

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Thanks for the replies - sounds like I should go to just one person and see how it flows, I guess if I need specific stuff dealing with I can focus on that later?
Now to decide wether to wait on the CMHT or just go private x
Thanks guys xxxx

pepecat

pepecat

You can't generally see two people at the same time - and therapists (if they find out) won't let you do that anyway. There's all sorts of ethical issues about conflicts of interest, and them possibly working against each other, or the different approaches they might use not complement each other - stuff like that.
I think they're actually not allowed to see you if they know you're seeing someone else as well, though I could be wrong on that one.

Do you think that there's one issue that's kinda uppermost in your mind / concerns? Often people go to therapy with one thing, or the 'important' thing, and talking about that can lead on to other stuff. So you might find if you go to therapy to talk about the sexual abuse, along the way all the other stuff comes up in some form or other anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Talking Therapies 16
L Talking Therapies 2