• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Counselling newbie

S

scottishhappy

Founding Member
been for 1counselling session and not sure whether to continue or not.
the person i saw sat and preened herself in the mirror that was behind me for practically the whole hour.
she wrote down everything i said which i found very off putting.
she wants me to look at the job section and choose posts i want to apply for before i see her again.:scared::unsure:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I would give it a bit more time.It seems a bit odd a mirror being in the room as this is a distraction perhaps mention this???

connect

connect

Admin
What is the counselling for?
Are you paying for it privately?
If you're paying privately and you find her offputting, there's no point in throwing good money after bad and I'd be inclined to look for someone who is more in tune with your needs :).

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Look in the job section???

what kind of counsellor is this?

I echo and agree with everyone else's comments :).

Nick.

S

scottishhappy

Founding Member
What is the counselling for?
Are you paying for it privately?
If you're paying privately and you find her offputting, there's no point in throwing good money after bad and I'd be inclined to look for someone who is more in tune with your needs :).
counselling is arranged through work :clap: they want me to return as soon as possible :scared: told me that they will need to advertise my post soon if i don't return soon:(
Agreed to go to counselling as I have been told I am stressed - perhaps depressed:cry:

S

scottishhappy

Founding Member
Look in the job section???

what kind of counsellor is this?

I echo and agree with everyone else's comments :).

Nick.
i think the counsellor is hoping that I realise that the job I have is better than looking for something new :confused:

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
my pychatrist is goose to, she just thinkin about how pritty she looks an if u think anythin bad, bam increase the meds is all she sais.

connect

connect

Admin
Is your being stressed out / maybe depressed related to your job?
I suppose whether or not you continue with the counselling depends on your motivation... if you're just doing it to keep your employer happy, by all means continue... But from what you've described, you may not get much out of it on a personal level :confused: Would your employer be prepared to pay for counselling with a therapist of your own choice?

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
counselling is arranged through work :clap: they want me to return as soon as possible :scared: told me that they will need to advertise my post soon if i don't return soon:(
Agreed to go to counselling as I have been told I am stressed - perhaps depressed:cry:
Ahh thanks for explaining! Well that sort of 'counselling' obviously has nothing to do with concern for your health! My advice would be to get some advice:)))/help through an advocacy scheme/union(if you have one)/CAB, and if necessary ask them if you can have a representative along with you when you next meet this counsellor. It sounds to me as though your employer is trying to intimidate you. Whether or not this is so you are probably not in the right state of mind to be able to deal with this sort of 'counselling'.

But this experience should not put you off trying to get some proper psychological counselling through the NHS!

Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Nick.