• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Counseling-I've had it!!!

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
SAw my (so-called counselor on Tuesday and for the life of me don't know why I bothered. I'm so sick of it all I told her I wasn't coming again because Apart from been unable to understand a word she says it's about as helpful as a dose of the clap. Here I am telling her all my darkest thoughts and anxieties and she starts mumbling on about how to overcome panic attacks. I know ALL THERE IS TO KNOW about those damned things and do not need reminding thanks anyway. I took the leaflet out of politeness, so another avenue exhausted for me!!!

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
This made me :), as my OH could have wrote this.
He has the same issue's with them too.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Saw my counciler today, not sure what she can achieve councilers are as much part of the mental health system as drs and valium.

SAying that my support worker put on the incapacity for work questionairre that i was starting counciling, he felt it'd efffect the benefit clarks decision

Theres a strory that someone was sentenced to death in ancient times and he got a reprieve by telling the king that if he spared him for 6 months he'd teach his horse to sing

His friends said "Why did you say that The horse isn't likely to sing"

He said "It's a nice day the sun is shining and maybe the horse will learn to sing".

And maybe i'll be cured

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I've just sent my questionaire off too. Doesn't help your problems does it, just makes me very very anxious. All I need is to be chucked off benefit then it will crack me up

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Are we talking counsellors or psychotherapists? Not done counselling, but have had very brief encounters with a consultant psychiatrist in psychotherapy. My advice, well like I told her in my letter to her 'A trick cyclist with an extra trick remains a trick cyclist’; if you're going to seek therapy do so outside the biomedical model. A psychologist trained in psychotherapy would be a better call than a shrink, they probably manage to avoid the medical gaze and default condescension. Remember all shrinks spent their years at med school cutting up dead bodies and it’s a mindset they rarely escape. Most often doctor's see bodies in that light; a cadaver with signs of life...

A

Apotheosis

I would love to go for some sessions with a trained Jungian Psychologist, funds do not allow however.

I have tried getting "talking therapy" with psychiatric services - I have never been offered it, recently it took a year to get an assessment appointment, & the psychologist told me that I was not suitable & it would "rock the boat".

I went for a limited 10 week session(s) through the GP some years ago, I had stopped the tablets & couldn't overcome a cripling anxiety with the councellor, I also think we knew each other from somewhere, the experience was most bizarre, she kept telling me my concern with the state of the world & the problems in it was a mechanism & very good way of getting away from myself. An element of truth to it I suppose, but it was as if problems with other people & the world/society where of no consequence. This reasoning just made me more paranoid & I felt even more like everything was my fault.

Another time I also found a councelor at a local support service, who was in training & refused to talk about any of the MH "stuff" with me & instead all she wanted me to talk about was my early childhood, which drove me more insane as well.

The last person I saw was a volunteer drug worker & the outcome was equally dire. The majority of the time revolved around "breathing" exercises & talking about the mundane.

On these three occasions that I've had "therapy" I've gone mad afterwards, tablet withdrawal probably had the most to do with it, but they didn't help things.

I have an upcoming appointment with the psych, I am going to ask them again for psychological help, I don't hold much hope I'll get it.

I am going back to some local "mind" meetings next week - they have been beneficial in the past. I feel that I could make more progress with "right" kind of counsellor & talking therapy. I do have some good friends who I do chat with, one in particular who does identify & helps me get a perspective on things, but it would be nice to have a caring & understanding psychologist to chat with. I think it would help enormously, accessing this help is another matter.

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
The CBT I had a few years ago really turned my life around for the better. Unfortunately it didn't prepare for the way I have been treated back into the so called real world. With that I mean work and the shameful way I was left out to dry by BIRMINGHAM CITY COUNCIL SOCIAL CARE AND HEALTH with no wages over the summer months due to their stupid contract with a local college, this stress obviously was the trigger that sent me into relapse. So instead of just setting me up with a kind of refresher I get the counselor stuff and feel now I'm back at square one taking each day as it comes with pretty much negative vibes.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It was CBT that brought me to LOndon, my positive views lasted until i worked for haringey social services, the gp said i had a breakdown when i lost that job

It's weird those social workers who i dealt with in haringey council had no doubt i was ill, crazy, sick but when i ask any social service office for help now they say "He is not a priority on mental health grounds" as far as i'm concedrned they said i was unfit for work and sacked me, they should be caring for me

That last benefit queastionaire i felt i had to make myself iller to be sure of a pass, i worked myself into a state then i felt i needed to be ion that state, it did my head in

C

chicken

seems to me from what you have posted that they are not salt of the earth and once you are in the system - its hard to climb out?

chicken

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i may be trapped in the system, but god knows what would have happened to me if there hadn't been a system all those years ago when i was in a bad way, i sometimes wonder about it, i also wonder what would have happened if it had been the modern system

C

chicken

what do you think would have happened in the modern system. Is it worse then the old system?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
30yrs ago after a childhood of been bullyed, i had to share a room at uni with a drug addict, i had learnt it was pointless standing up for myself so i tryed to b e friends, including taking drugs

At the end of the 2nd yr after taking psychedelic mushrooms and the dealer giving me a pill he called a blueee, i had a breakdown.

I asked the uni dr to put me in hospital, i suspect if i had been sent home without explanation, having failed the exams, my father wouldn't have been understanding, i'd have been in a fragile state, and my father would have been violent and aggressive though you shouldn't say bad things of the dead

I went into hospital was sent home, was stuck with parents saying our son was at uni now he's had a breakdown, my school friends didn't want to know, got depresed was put in hospital again, had shock treatment 2 yrs later got depresed again got threatened with sectioning if i didn't go in, refused shock treatment, i think it was then the diagnosis became hebephrenic schitsoprenia

I think nowadays i'd be left until crisis became more acute, there would be a chance of recovery but if that didn't happen i'd have gone through worse

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
That's a journey and a half Rimbaud. Mate you should seriously take some time to write this down, it's not just a record of your journey, but a history of the changing methods you've experienced. I'm seriously NOT just saying this, I'd be interested in reading it. First time I was in a hospital was 1992...

F

Fruitcake

Founding Member
I feel so lucky at having manage to stay out of hospital. (though last year I was pretty close to being sectioned). As for therapy etc..I've tried counselling twice, and I've tried art psychotherapy. And as i mentioned on another thread on this site, I was kicked off the CBT list before I was even assessed because I had trouble leaving the house. I still have trouble getting to appointments, having to be somewhere or do something at a set time. Does anyone else know what I'm going on about? If you have any hints or tips on how to deal with it, I'm all ears!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
One friend claims nowadays it's as hard to get into a mental hospital as it used to be to get out of one.

Since then she's been sectioned

You have to be in a terrible state and if your admitted your with people in a terrible state, that rather puts me off, as welll my local bin the ward doors are kept locked, i don't think officially it's a locked ward but i have no wish to be locked in, sometimes i feel i could do with asylum but whats on offer seems more like prison, the whole system now seems forensic with parole when your out