• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Council tax

katya

katya

My sister, who's a mental health nurse, has just told me that, if you have been sectioned, you never have to pay council tax ever again.

Is this true?

Did you know this?

If you're paying council tax and have been sectioned, talk to your council!!!

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I pay it, I want a rebate!!! At least for the years I was working!

But I would be too scared to talk to my council, I mean what if they contact MH services to find out if I really was sectioned and then services decide to hound me or summat.

I think maybe it is for people who are still in the system?

katya

katya

I pay it, I want a rebate!!! At least for the years I was working!

But I would be too scared to talk to my council, I mean what if they contact MH services to find out if I really was sectioned and then services decide to hound me or summat.

I think maybe it is for people who are still in the system?
Why would the services hound you?

If you're entitled to a rebate, you should pursue it, I think.

Apparently, after you've been sectioned, you don't have to pay it again ever.

This is according to my sister who's a mental health nurse, but some councils might work differently? I don't know.

I think it's worth speaking to them about.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Taken from here

People not counted when working out your council tax

The following people are not counted when working out your council tax:- people currently in prison, in detention or sectioned under the Mental Health Act
people who are severely mentally impaired
18 year olds for whom child benefit is payable
students, student nurses, Youth Training Scheme (YTS) and apprentices; school leavers starting a course of education in the next term: learn more about student council tax exemptions
patients living in long term residential care homes or hospital
some residential care workers receiving less than £36 per week
residents of hostels for the homeless or night shelters (if not self-contained accommodation)
members and dependants of international defence organisations
members of religious communities
some people who provide care to another person (other than spouse, partner or child under 18)
non British spouses of students
persons with diplomatic privileges or immunities

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
And from here

Discounts

If only one adult lives in a property, they will get a 25 per cent discount on the council tax bill. When working out how many people live in a property, some people are not counted. These are called disregarded people.

You are disregarded if you are:

aged 17 or under
a prisoner or someone in detention awaiting deportation or under mental health legislation
'severely mentally impaired'
full-time students on a qualifying course of education (including correspondence or on-line courses); student nurses; Foreign Language Assistants on the official British Council programme. If the property is occupied only by students then it is exempt from council tax altogether
a spouse, civil partner or a dependant of a student who is a non- British Citizen and who, under immigration rules, is not allowed either to work in the UK or claim benefit
a young person on a government training scheme or following some kinds of apprenticeship
a long-term hospital patient or care home resident
living in a hostel which provides care or treatment because of your old age, physical or mental disability, past or present alcohol or drug dependence or past or present mental illness
living in a bail or probation hostel
a live-in care worker
staying in a hostel or night shelter, for example, in a Salvation Army or Church Army hostel
a school or college leaver aged under 20 and you have left school or college after 30 April. You will be disregarded until 1 November of the same year whether or not you take up employment
aged 18 and someone is entitled to Child Benefit for you
a member of a religious community
a member of a visiting armed force. Your dependants are also disregarded.
If everyone who lives in the property is disregarded, there will still be a council tax bill, but there will be a 50 per cent discount.

katya

katya

Oh people who ARE sectioned... Oh. My bad; ignore me.