• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Could you or can you overcome your illness without meds???

S

seriouslydisturbed

I'm on meds at the moment but i hate being on them they make me so dumbed down and depressed.

Do you feel you could overcome the illness without the need for meds. Also i'm interested to hear from those off meds, did you feel like you were up against an impossible task when you first decided you didn't want to take meds???

S

seriouslydisturbed

For me i'm unsure but i'm willing to try but first i'm giving the chance of medication giving me a full recovery but i've got to wait a number of years before i can start reducing the meds. If i'm not sucessful getting off meds then its going to have to be the non compliant route for me. What gets me when I have an episode is the delusions, its as if things that are happening are so real and i just believe them. I wonder if with enough experience i can overcome that.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm on meds at the moment but i hate being on them they make me so dumbed down and depressed.

Do you feel you could overcome the illness without the need for meds. Also i'm interested to hear from those off meds, did you feel like you were up against an impossible task when you first decided you didn't want to take meds???
Very individual, but i think it is potentially possible for some people to do.

i was fully med free for two 4 years periods. Have maintained a very low dose of one med.

Recent book that is good on the subject is 'Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal A Guide for Prescribers, Therapists, Patients and their Families' By Peter Breggin, M.D.

Very interesting Blog by a woman who came off all medication, a lot of good advice/info - Beyond Meds

A Blog more specific to psychosis here - About Ron Unger

Loads of info out there.

All said & done i think a lot depends on the amount of help & support someone has. No shame also in being on the meds.

katya

katya

It's different for everyone. Personally, I am on meds and I find they help. Hope you can hear some thoughts from people off them.

Talk to your doctor and let him/her know how the meds are making you feeling at the moment.

Have you been on them for a while?

S

seriouslydisturbed

Have you been on them for a while?
I've been on and off for the past 6 years. Before that i had a period of 4 and a half years off with no symptoms, i've had 5 episodes now in total.

Kerome

Kerome

Personally I'm fairly convinced it's the meds which are still making me ill. I'm continuing efforts to slowly reduce them to zero, but it takes months between steps down, my brain has such a hard time adjusting to the removal of its crutches.

D

Deliah

Hello there, I'm doing it without meds. I would focus on the fact that you had as period of 4.5 years without symptoms. That could be viewed as evidence that it is possible for you. 4.5 years is a significant amount of time. I don't consider my experience symptoms. Our beliefs can limit our growth. You really need to find someone wise to work with you on this. I've been growing through the experience myself for the past 6.5 years. I think that there needs to be growth happening alongside the meds or reduction of meds. I practice mindfulness and have an absolute acceptance of my voices being a gift. I think that when we take a view of positive and negative symptoms, a view that our experience is disease then we see our experience as other to us. I looked a lot at this and realised that my sense of fragmentation was my sense of otherness within myself. It's an incredible journey. Having suffered a lot through it, I have now come to a place where I no longer fall in to those deep holes, where the aspects of my experience which I previously looked at through a lens of fear, suspicion and mistrust, I can now see in acceptance and see the gifts they truly are. I am aware of two people thus far apart from the well known ones who help. love D xxxxx

katya

katya

I've been on and off for the past 6 years. Before that i had a period of 4 and a half years off with no symptoms, i've had 5 episodes now in total.
Coming off and on them can be detrimental, depending on how you did it. Was it with guidance from your doctor?

Gajolene

Gajolene

I think you should try to have a strong support network in place before attempting changes like this. I also thing it does depend on how much you are aware of your symptoms behaviours off meds and whether you can stay rational, and coping in response to a relapse or mania recurring without it being dangerous for you and others.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one friend was told by a psychiatrist it can be up to 3 yrs since coming off the illness recurs a lot of off meds people are in that time, whether on meds is cure and the more years you spend on meds the harder to come off them, guess i'm confused

I guess i've only seen a few people off meds for schitzoprenia, whether i want to emulate them, there are the public role models but i take them with a pinch of salt

T

thrill

Back in the nineties I came off them with the help of a psychiatrist, I had to go back on them.

Since then I've had several failed attempts ending up in psych wards and the acute clinic.

Off meds is pretty bad as something takes over I become a danger to people.

I think meds have made me worse as regards to prognosis, if I miss the depot by a few days I start to experience a paranoid terror, other times the devil and it's power of possesion become my reality.

SarahD

SarahD

I have met someone who has successfully come off meds. He somehow just seems to have made up his mind not to go with psychotic symptoms. I believe he was quite badly affected originally. Maybe it gets easier for some people as they get older.

I am off meds, but unfortunately psychosis has come back after about six months. I don"t want to,go back on meds, but am under a lot of pressure to do so. Struggling a lot at the moment.

D

Deliah

Hey Sarah H, sending you love. I am regularly here and willing to chat about what has helped me. love D xxx

S

swgulfl

without meds

Being diagnosed chronic paranoid since I was 19 like many of us I was in denial didn't like the feeling of meds either couple years passed I accepted my situation not until about 4 years I was on a few meds that I thought worked well enough to continue more then the slower mind weight gain and distant feeling made me reconsider so many times I haven't become violent but yes suicidal now I'm 37 been to many impatient visits and Dr's almost a year this time without meds my biggest issue is isolation and my past behaviors excercise helps tremendously drawing to ease my mind and knowing my limits