• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Could This Be Bipolar Disorder?

A

Ava12

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and i'm really looking for answers for my sister.

She was diagnosed with depression and GAD around 4 years ago but i've recently noticed things about her behaviour that worry me.

She has her low days where she is lethargic and very depressed, crying constantly, wishing she weren't here.

But she also has days where she's super happy, almost too happy...she comes up with all sorts big plans, there's nothing she cannot do on these days.

She also obsesses over things, she'll see something and all of a sudden she's got to have it, no matter what it costs...she's set up 4 catalogues, 2 credit cards recently and is sinking into debt fast!
She purchases things she knows she'll never use but at that moment she really needs it!

For example she recently decided she had to have a persian kitten, even though she's been scared of cats all her life.
She went ahead and bought one...went way over the top spending on it, he had to have every cat toy known to man, to then regret getting him after 2 days, she gave him away after 2 weeks!

I'm so worried for her and want to help her in any way i can.
Please tell me if this could be Bipolar disorder?
If so then i need to convince her to see her doctor.
Thanks in advance.

Mark_01

Mark_01

Hello, welcome to the forum. Your sister should see a psychiatrist.

A

alexi

It does sound like she could be Bipolar but only a Psychlatrist can make this diagnosis.

A

Ava12

Thank you!
I haven't mentioned any of what i've noticed to her yet as i know she will get upset.
She's in complete denial about everything and always takes advice as us putting her down, it's so hard :(

C

Cupofdreams

I agree with the others who commented, it would be best for your sister to see a psychiatrist. If she has regular doctor appointments in relation to her depression, you could try and attend them with her? It could be a good idea to sit with your sister beforehand, and say you worry about her, and have her best interests at heart.

B

blueorange

Thank you!
I haven't mentioned any of what i've noticed to her yet as i know she will get upset.
She's in complete denial about everything and always takes advice as us putting her down, it's so hard :(
When she is "manic" it is difficult to make her go pdoc. I can understand this. But when she is depressed I think she will easily accept going to pdoc. I'm not saying she is bipolar but she may be as others said.

My first diagnosis was also depression and GAD and it was wrong :)

T

tokyo jo

When she is "manic" it is difficult to make her go pdoc. I can understand this. But when she is depressed I think she will easily accept going to pdoc. I'm not saying she is bipolar but she may be as others said.

My first diagnosis was also depression and GAD and it was wrong :)
You really should leave diagnosis to the sexperts.(freudian slip)blueorange.

You need a big thick book , two dice, and a shaker.

A

Ava12

Thanks for your replies guys, i appreciate it.

I broached the subject with my sister today, i asked her if she thought she was suffering with more than depression and anxiety and gave her a few examples of things i'd noticed.
She totally went crazy at me, told me her spending habits had nothing to do with me and for me to get out and stay away from her :cry:

I'm kind of used to her flipping on me at times but today she seemed to take it a bit too far.
I'm at a loss and don't know how i can get her to see a doctor before she messes her life up properly :low:

A

Ava12

Nikita said:
My advice to you is to stay out of your sister's business and not interfere.No one likes someone else slapping a serious diagnosis like bi polar on them and you are not qualified to do that.She might never forgive you for that.She may just be struggling with the GAD, Anyway it is up to her to see her psyche team if she wants to seeing as she is already under them and her dealings with them are confidential and it is not necessary for family to know.For all you know she may already have been diagnosed bi -polar but doesn't want family knowing.I am not surprised she went mad at you, she asked you to get out and stay away so I think that is clear you should not interfere.It is up to her to seek help if she needs it not for you to rescue her or stick your oar in.
Excuse me?
Oh so i should sit by and let my sister who i love with all my heart destroy her life?
I came here to ask for advice not to be talked to like i'm a monster!
I am upset and very concerned for her welfare and haven't spoken to anyone not even family about it.

She has problems that she will not address, she will never go to the doctors left to her, so what kind of a sister would i be to let her carry on in denial....oh and to top it all off i found out from her today that she tried to commit suicide recently, but hey...i'll leave her to it shall i?

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
I would leave it as you have spoken to her about it, she could go away and think about it and agree and go get help or not, but you cannot force her and if you try it will likely backfire. She must have been to see doctors to get diagnosed with GAD and depression.
As you found out she tried to commit suicide she must have told someone so she is talking to someone, maybe just not you about it or else got medical help and then they will already know about her.

A

Ava12

I would leave it as you have spoken to her about it, she could go away and think about it and agree and go get help or not, but you cannot force her and if you try it will likely backfire. She must have been to see doctors to get diagnosed with GAD and depression.
As you found out she tried to commit suicide she must have told someone so she is talking to someone, maybe just not you about it or else got medical help and then they will already know about her.
Yes she did go to the doctors about her depression but that took family intervention as she lost her job, home and boyfriend before she reached rock bottom and finally accepted she had a problem.

She seemed to be doing better for a while although she still refuses to leave her house and lives in a cocoon, letting nobody in.

She also has an obsession with death, constantly on youtube searching videos on death and dying.
I can't help but worry about her, we've always been so close until she got ill.

She screamed at me today that she would rather die than live this existance for much longer and thats when she proceeded to shout that she'd already tried to take her own life but couldn't even get that right!

She took alchohol and meds but still woke up the next day so no i don't think she has spoken to anyone about it!

I'm extremely scared and worried, surely that's not a crime is it?

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
No one is saying it is a crime, it is just as you have experienced today if you push someone they will usually just close up. You can let her know you are always there to talk and hopefully she will come to you. As she did tell you quite a bit today then I think she has a good chance of opening up when she has thought about it.

A

Ava12

Nikita said:
It is just my opinion, if I had a sister I wouldn't want her making decisions on what she thought was wrong with my mental health,nothing personal, we each have the right not to be infantilized or have our mental health undermined.Having you go to the doctor and say she is bi polar or insisting she does that herself, how is that helping your sister, to get her labeled?It is up to you but imo it is wrong of you and it sounds like she would agree with me.It may be she is suicidal and you should help if you can but that doesn't mean she is bi polar.Anyway that was just my advice you don't have to take it!
Believe me i'm not wanting to label her...i was simply asking here if these signs could be bipolar i'm not saying it is, i had a friend that had this illness and she behaved in a similar manner, i thought people here could give me more of an idea on what COULD be wrong that's all.

If there's a possibility of it being anything more than depression then i obviously want her to seek the help she needs to get her on the correct meds before she falls any deeper.

She's my baby sister, and i couldn't live with myself if i simply ignored this and something bad happened :cry:

It's ok though, i will seek help from somewhere else, i won't let her hurt herself, sorry.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My next of kin is my one real life friend. I trust her a hell of a lot more than my family

A

ashesunbroken

It sounds extremely possible that she is suffering from bipolar disorder. I would suggest just letting her know you are worried about her, and see if she would be alright with you going with her to the doctors to express your concerns. Sometimes people don't always notice all the things that they are doing, or that their behavior is worrisome.