• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Could this actually happen?

D

dee122

Hi

i have this terrible fear that I have become pregnant from using the same toilet/bathroom as my sister's boyfriend. he woke up during the night to use the toilet and then about half an hour later I used the same toilet. I had to do a number two. Afterwards, I wiped my bottom. I then had a terrible thought that this could cause me to become pregnant. What if he had just had intercourse and I touched some left over semen/sperm that may have been on the toilet door handle, the toilet paper or another surface nearby. Is this possible? This anxiety consumes me...it affects my day to day life, it's all I can think about. It has been going on for a few years now...I take pregnancy tests daily. I don't know what to do. Has anyone been in a similar situation or experienced anything like this??

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum.

I have personally never heard of it happening in that way.

There is only the one main way that it happens and sitting on a toilet seat after the other person has been there or wiping after going to the toilet doesn't make you Pregnant.

I would say that if the tests haven't been positive so far, you aren't pregnant in any way :)

I'm sorry it is causing you so much anxiety and I hope my post helps.

Marliee x

D

dee122

Thank you for your response. It has only been four days since the incident so the pregnancy tests wouldn't even be accurate by this stage..I have to wait ten more days before they would have a chance at being accurate to detect a pregnancy. It is all I have been thinking about...I can't get the thoughts out of my head. I wish I just had someone to tell me NO IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. But I guess I just have to play this terrible waiting game...

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I really am convinced you won't be pregnant in anyway. I have never, ever heard of it happening.

Sperm can not last long outside of a body, they will die very quickly.

Do you think, for the future it might help your anxiety to maybe go on the pill?

Can I also ask how old you are?

x

D

dee122

I am on the pill - Yaz. But my mind plays tricks me on and tells me 'No the pill doesn't even work for you' I take it anywhere between a three - four hour window and I then convince myself that it doesn't even work for me. I am 26 years old and this is why I feel so stupid for thinking that I could become pregnant this way. But I feed my anxiety ...by going online and researching and finding articles that mention sperm can live for up to 3 hours outside the body and then I convince myself that I'm pregnant because of this. I go from telling myself, 'grow up, what a ridiculous thought'...to 'yes I am pregnant form this, what am I going to do?!' My mind goes crazy :(

pepecat

pepecat

No, you can't get pregnant from a toilet seat.

Think about it - how would the sperm get firstly to your vagina (sorry to be a bit graphic :)) from the toilet seat and then get inside and swim all the way up to your womb? It needs warmth, and moisture to do that, and without either of those things the sperm will die.

I know it's hard - the 'what if, what if, what if' thoughts go round and round, but if you try and think about it logically, it really is impossible. Don't do look at stuff on the internet - there's an awful lot of misinformation out there and you'll only freak yourself out even more.

You say in your first post that this has been going on for years and you take pregnancy tests daily - you've not been pregnant...... does that not reassure you that it's impossible?

D

dee122

I know ..I tell myself it's so irrational but I feel as though if there was sperm present it could have made its way into my vagina because I wiped my bottom (sorry too much info) and that area is of course very close to my vagina, so the toilet paper may have even brushed against my vagina. I'm just over this constant worrying...

W

wulfgar

I think it would be highly unlikely verging on impossible that you would get pregnant from using the same toilet. With out getting to graphic and as all ready pointed out, sperm needs a warm and moist environment to live. If it was present on a toilet seat or toilet tissue it would be dead within a few minutes. Then there is the whole issue of how it would find it's way inside your vagina. It can't, as far as i'm aware, worm its way in from the outside, so to speak.
This is obviously causing you a great deal of anxiety and stress, perhaps as a stop gap you could use some form of antibacterial wipe on the loo seat and your own packet of tissues.

D

dee122

The fact that you all think there's a even a slight possibility of it happening causes me great concern :( I think I'm going to go and have a blood test in 9 days time to find out :((((

katya

katya

Are you having any sort of therapy for your anxiety? You can't be doing with being so cautious about things that are only extremely slightly likely... You'll end up wasting so much of your time, and being so scared while doing it. Please try to address your anxiety, rather than the triggers, because the triggers sound like they're really nothing to worry about in reality. Hope you feel better soon.

D

dee122

I went to my doctor and she was very good, diagnosed me with OCD and referred me to a psychologist and said she thinks cognitive behaviour therapy will work well for me. I can't get into see her until the end of January :( But during this ten day wait before I can take any pregnancy test (to ensure they are accurate) my life is on halt. It's so debilitating. Do you think I'm pregnant from this? Or should I just get rid of the thought?? Wouldn't there be hundreds of pregnant women roaming around that didn't know how they became pregnant if this was possible? The scenario just keeps going round and round in my head that I'm indeed pregnant.

D

Deliah

Wouldn't there be hundreds of pregnant women roaming around that didn't know how they became pregnant if this was possible?

You already know the answer. Listen to your wiser self. It's completely impossible that this will have happened. It's just a thought that you haven't let go of. Talk kindly to yourself. Each time the anxious thinking starts up, which your wise self already knows isn't true just gently reassure yourself that this absolutely isn't possible and give yourself a hug and smile. Listen to yourself when your thoughts are wiser and thank them for them for their wisdom. love to you. I wish you every success. It's just the mind monkeying about. D xxxx

mixtape02

mixtape02

It might help to tell yourself "This is impossible. I would have heard millions of people got pregnant from a toilet seat. I would be hearing about it literally all the time" and try to forget about it. Isn't there a TV show called I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant? There's a reason everyone thinks all those women have to be stupid not to have known they were pregnant, because it's sooo unlikely and most importantly, television is fake!

Your worries are only justified if you're experiencing every single one of the symptoms of something and you're sure it's it and need to see a doctor. Tell yourself, if that were even the case, I would just see a doctor and most likely receive the good news that I was wrong! :D

D

dee122

mixtape02 - do you think it is impossible for this to happen? It's new years eve and I'm sitting on my laptop all anxious. Haven't even made any plans cos this is worrying me so much :(