• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Could they have misdiagnosed me?

H

hazelgalaxies

So after smoking weed each time I was put into psychosis, the recent experience I couldn't sleep for 7 days but I think it was laced. I've had depression most of my life and had psychosis long time ago due to sleep deprivation and weed but it went away. And never had any manic or cycles of mood during that time. Could they have misdiagnosed me with bipolar 1 instead of substance induced psychosis?

Wishbone

Wishbone

I take it you were in the hospital for this diagnosis to be made?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Yes, absolutely. Tell the medical practitioners about your recreational drug use and stop smoking weed! xo, j

H

hazelgalaxies

Yes, absolutely. Tell the medical practitioners about your recreational drug use and stop smoking weed! xo, j

Yeah I haven't smoked since 4 months ago, I talk with my psychiatrist in 3 days so I'm going to ask her if they could have misdiagnosed me when I do.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Yeah I haven't smoked since 4 months ago, I talk with my psychiatrist in 3 days so I'm going to ask her if they could have misdiagnosed me when I do.
Some people are vulnerable to the effects of marijuana. Two people I know developed schizophrenia after smoking weed so I do think there are dangers to smoking it that may not be widely known. xo, j

Wishbone

Wishbone

I asked about the hospital because you could have displayed manic symptoms when there, but being so out of it you may not have known that these were happening.
But yes, absolutely talk to your psych about the diagnosis, the drug use and anything else. Ask a tonne of questions as it's the only way to get the answers you need. In fact, start writing down what you want to ask them now, and don't be afraid to whip out the list, they will have seen it before - I certainly did it more than once.